New Oil or LPG Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lpg boiler is over 15 years old and on it's way out. I can't find any information on the net to help me out.

1. What is more efficent 1 littre of LPG or Oil. Last time I bought LPG I paid 0.35p per littre, I think Oil was at that time around 0.45p per littre. So basically need to know which is cheaper to run. Plus I pay £75 a year for the retal of the tank.

2. Combi boiler or the style with a Tank (I don't use much tap water because I have a dishwasher and a shower, probably heat the water 3 times a week for a bath.

3. How would you change LPG suppliers, I don't seem to find any websites that state there current prices?

If anyone could help me out with my questionns you would be life savers.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Oil is definately cheaper to run than lpg as some of my customers will attest to after changing over. Downside is you will need to buy an oil tank which will almost certainly need to be bunded. Steel tanks have arguably more advantages than plastic but cost a few quid more.
Personally i'd go for oil over lpg or look at the other renewables with their grant schemes as an option.
Stix.

Oil is definatly cheaper than LPG to run, but as mentioned before you will need to buy an oil tank as opposed to renting a gas tank, but that gives you the freedom to phone around for the best oil price or even join a syndicate.
Tom

I can get steel tanks for less than plastic ones, and that's delivered too.

Why will the oil tank "almost certainly need to be bunded"?

Sponsored Links
I can get steel tanks for less than plastic ones, and that's delivered too.

Why will the oil tank "almost certainly need to be bunded"?

Try finding somewhere in west wales that isnt within 10m of a borehole or spring!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you oilman. How about sharing with the OP where he can get get a steel tank at a good price and telling him whether you would bund it or not instead of splitting hairs with me ? I'm sure you know all about it.

A good condensing LPG boiler with weather compensation [see other posts] will save you quite a bit, and you can retain your existing LPG tank. You can now switch LPG suppliers without changing tanks.

Gas requires less maintenance, usually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back