New 'old' light with no earth - just choc up earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some very old steel light fittings that I want to put up.

They have no earth - do I just choc up the earth cable?

The lights are steel and the wall wire is 'twin and earth' type (I think thats the right name!) - ie the earth wire has no insulation around it.

The previous person looks to have put some heat shrink around the earth when its come out of the wall - I'm assuming to insulate it from other wires/light fitting.

Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The steel fittings need to be connected to the existing earth (or CPC) so that in the event of a fault it wont become live

If the fittings don't have an earth terminal, you'll have to make one by e.g. securing a bolt to them with an appropriate ring crimped to the earth wire - otherwise your lights could potentially become live if there was a fault with them / a wire came loose etc...

Whatever method you use, make sure it is attached solidly, and that there isn't any paint or whatever blocking the conductivity (ideally test with appropriate equipment...)

Check the fitting for the double insulated symbol before you earth it. Metal fittings are not always class 1.

Sponsored Links
Any recommendations on how I can secure the wire to it.

I only have a basic soldering iron - not sure thats man enough to hold a bolt onto the steel.

Is liquid metal OK? Does it conduct?

These lights have no symbols on them - i reckon they are far too old for that!

Drill a hole and use a bolt?

Without seeing the fittings it's difficult to suggest much else really...

I suppose I could get a ring crimp attachment and just put it round the screws that are holding the light to the wall (and touching the metal light).

Sounds like a plan to me - thanks all....off to maplins to buy the crimps!

1) I'm sure you can find somewhere cheaper than that.

2) You'll need one of these:

DVDHCR15.JPG

not one of these:

mediaa543490cl2.jpg

3) The connection for the earth should not be combined with a mounting fixing - earth integrity should be retained when the fitting is removed. Find somewhere to drill a hole.

Just bought the second one!! Whats wrong with it?!

Point taken about the earthing - will fit a small bolt somewhere.

Just bought the second one!! Whats wrong with it?!

1. It is impossible to apply enough pressure to close the crimp properly.
2. The jaws of the tool are not precisely sized to the crimps.
3. The jaws of the tool are the wrong shape.
4. Also known as the 'press and hope' tool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back