New or existing soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I have dug out the floor in my outbuilding as the wall has come down and an RSJ put in.
There was a downstairs loo and as you can see below its the old clay pipe. In the garden there is no inspection put for the soil pipe, everyone else has one.

My question is should I replace this will plastics and put in an inspection pit outside before putting the floor in?
I thought it might be a good idea as its earlier to get to now rather than later when the floor is down.
Way sort of tradesman does this plumber or ground worker or both?

Any thoughts
32aa8d20cdd0e112b32672307b02c160_zps73a538d2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ground workers normally work on the external drainage, plumbers on the internal.
Can you inform, in a sketch preferably, where you were thinking of putting the inspection (can I presume you are referring to a rodding eye?)...pinenot

Hi there
I dug out the soil pipe today, funny enough the original pick was the whole thing anyway.
Seem of the clay pipe has broken.
I thought about putting in a clay to plastic adapter from a local building firm, the is one that is rubber and tightens up with large jubilee clips and another that is solid pvc that pushes on.
Is it ok to clear around the pipe and push the fitting on so the peice in the house is new.
Is rubber or pvc better and which is better jubilee or just the push on one.
As for the missing peice once the new fitting is on can I just fill the missing but with cement / clay to keep the pipe consistent?

The other option would be to dig up outside and completely replace about a meter of pipe but I don't really want to do this.

b99d69208ca2fa3c4959d5e34f2dc531_zpseb7aeb1b.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looking at the pic, you'll need to replace at least the section of pipe through the wall to outside, that stub looks too damaged to get a connection onto. It needs to be watertight and especially if you're planning to fit a W.C. onto that drain, then it is vital the pipework has a smooth bore, any rough edges are asking for material to catch and block the pipe. Once new floor is down then you dont want to be digging it up again for the sake of a metre of pipe and a bend, bodging it now may lead to a lot more work later. :eek:

My advice would be to renew the section at least to outside with plastic, however I would also look at fitting a chamber outside at the same time. Whilst I appreciate it's more work in the short term, it helps 'futureproof' the job. If ever faced with a full/blocked pan that simply wont clear, then a manhole outside may prove a godsend.

Personally I usually use the rigid couplers from plastic to salt glazed, seem to be cheaper! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back