New outbuilding at back of Garden help Pls ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am building an outbuilding at the back of my garden and have a few questions that I was wondering if you could answer?

1) External dimensions are 580 cm wide by 560 metres long, height 4 m. its to be a block cavity wall. Can i lay a simple concrete footing, if so how deep should it be

2) I intend to hook up the building with water and electricity, do i need holes in my footings for some sort of pipes to fit through if not at what stage of the build do i need to cater for this.

Many thanks in advance for the advice.

Sponsored Links
The footings go down to a "firm load bearing strata", and this could be anywhere from 300mm to 5m.

Presumably you are not concreting right up to the level of the grass, and there will be some bricks near the top? In which case leave a brick out. But don't forget minimum depths for services below the ground surface

The footings go down to a "firm load bearing strata", and this could be anywhere from 300mm to 5m.

Presumably you are not concreting right up to the level of the grass, and there will be some bricks near the top? In which case leave a brick out. But don't forget minimum depths for services below the ground surface

Thanks for this. So seeing that i'm in Essex with clay soil i think 0.9 m foundation should do it. Regarding the services I guess I'll need water, electricity gas and then waste water.

So where do they go in, I can leave a hole in the block cavity wall, but since its got to underground, does it then go up through the interior concrete floor? That cant be right can it?[/img]

Sponsored Links
yes that is correct.

when building the walls below damp, be sure to leave a slot in the brick/blockwork, lintel over this slot then you can install a duct to suit.

the duct can be 110mm plastic drain pipe with a 90degree bend - one end sticking through the outer skin of masonry and the other protruding past the intended floor level.

you can then complete the 'oversite' and be left with a 100mm passage through which to feed your services.

External dimensions are 580 cm wide by 560 metres long...
That seems rather long? :LOL:

Ref depth, 900mm ok, providing that there's no significant vegetation within the vicinity, or you're removing such to build the structure. If either, then use NHBC Standards Chapter 4.2 to determine required depths and possible heave precautions in respect of tree removal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back