New paint job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been searching the internet for a few hours and came across this forum.

So I have 3 weeks to strip, paper and paint 3 bedrooms, a living room and a stairway (if I've time). Paper and paint a toilet and bathroom and just re-paint a kitchen.
A fairly big taste for just me alone. Now I can wallpaper I've no problems with that it's the painting. I'm on a budget so is there anyway of colouring white matt emulsion (I've read about tints?? ideas?) or any other recommendations?

Sponsored Links
You can buy paint tinting dyes like THESE to add to white emulsion. The only problem is that you are not guaranteed to be able to mix the exact colour you want.
I'm sure you know that Decorators merchants and DIY stores can mix thousands of colours but they do work out a lot more expensive than mixing your own. You can buy a large tub of white and mix small quantities to various colours/shades with the tinters whereas paint that is mixed for you at a shop will have to be purchased in seperate tins (£££).

Personally, I get paint mixed to the exact spec at a merchants but the dyes can be handy when on a budget.

The adding of dyes is a practice that you should not attempt, the determined colour is seldom reached leaving the end result nothing short of disaster. Far better and wiser to get your paint pre- mixed on purchase.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Thank you both, think I'll try the dyes until I've more money to splash out.
And at least if I only do the children's rooms that will suit me - those will probably need re-painting sooner rather than later. This could be used as a basecoat if it does go wrong. Trial and error?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back