New patio being laid..is unevenness okay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of getting a new patio laid by a builder. The slabs are bradstone panache which have a smooth 'ground' surface. I expected the slabs to sit flush next to each other , but on many of them as they have been butt-jointed you can feel the unevenness in laying and there is a lip. Is this correct?
I can also feel slight movement on some of them when I stand on them. Am I being picky or should I tell him I'm not happy tomorrow. help please..so I know what to tell him tomorrow!

Sponsored Links
What are they laid on? Screeded sand or a mortar mix?

If screeded sand then they should be level and none should rock, If mortar then you shouldn;t be walking on them yet and will have caused them to rock.

Sound like a bodge job to me, as said what are they laying them on? how did they prepare the base?

It's laid on a dry mix of sand and cement I think, the edges aren't done yet but the mix was laid out this afternoon...

Sponsored Links
It's laid on a dry mix of sand and cement I think, the edges aren't done yet but the mix was laid out this afternoon...
What have they used for a sub base? Is the dry mix laid straight onto the soil! You shouldn’t have excessive lippage (height difference) & this will be more noticeable where pavers are butt jointed & the pavers definitely shouldn’t be moving around.

This will tell you practically all you’ll ever want to know about laying pavers; http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm

It sounds like you have walked on it too soon causing rocking slabs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back