New patio door leaking after 5 weeks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I had new windows and a patio door fitted 5 weeks ago. The windows are great but since Thursday night, when it rained like hell fire we have had pools of water on the laminate flooring adjacent to the new patio door. This has repeated itself big time this morning after it rained alot again.

The water appears to be coming from behind the beading, where the bottom and upright beading is mitre'd together at the corners. Also, we are now getting water coming in from where the frame holding the glass
(excuse me cos i dont know the professional name for this part of a door) is supposed to be sealed against the main part of the door frame.

On cold mornings which we had before the rain, there had always been alot of condensation along the bottom edges of the door frame which we never had on the old patio door. It seems as though now, the water wont stop coming out even though the rain has stopped over 18 hours ago. I mop it up, and dry the frame and within 10 minutes a new pool of water is collecting! Any ideas as what i might expect the installer to do with this?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
right here are some pics. The company came round yesterday and put a bead of silicone sealer on the outside of the door glass on the bottom edge covering the outer black seal at the bottom of the glass. Apparently, large rainfall can overwhelm the drains and a bead of sealer will stop the extra water getting in - bull**** i think?

anyway in the first pic the red arrows show where the water seems to be coming from and in the second pic the red line shows where the bead of silicone was put across the whole length of the glass....

CIMG0765_zps55deae98.jpg

CIMG0761_zps03dd17d2.jpg

The white residue on the floor is where the old patio door had a plastic strip covering the gaps at the bottom. Not yet replaced any trim as we will be doing the flooring soon.

Also, a problem we had with the old patio door was condensation forming where the door frame meets the floor at both corners. We also have this happening on the new door. the laminate flooring in both corners is rotten due to this happening on the old door. How can it be prevented? we dont get condensation anywhere else. The door frame is sealed up on the outside as ive checked. I removed the silicone sealer from the corner and all thats there is a small gap between the plaster and door frame and the concrete floor. Is this normal?

Sounds like you need to squirt some expanding foam to fill the gap between the door frame and plaster/concrete, as the gap has been left empty its forming a direct cold bridge as you have no insulation there.

That might fix it, but the concrete itself may also be forming a cold bridge causing condensation to form.

As the the windows leaking, I only deal with timber windows. If it was a timber window with that beading detail, I'd say water is tracking through by capillary action by a lack of a vented bead detail or poor sealing of the bead.

Regarding the leaks my thoughts are the drainage holes, water should not come throught the bead at the mitred corners, scribed in your case. If you have water dripping under the sliding/fixed panel then i'd have to question which side the drainage holes have been drilled, in both cases the glass needs to come out to be sorted......fitters need to come back i'm afraid

what i have discovered today is that the extruded frame where i have drawn the red line with arrows appears to be a little bent. If i look down the bottom edge, i can see a little kink and change in the reflection of light. If i run my fingers along the same edge, it is tight upto the other part of the frame until that point, where it seems to protrude out. By the end of the fixed door, the gap is about 5mm. This is where the water is mainly coming from.

what i have discovered today is that the extruded frame where i have drawn the red line with arrows appears to be a little bent. If i look down the bottom edge, i can see a little kink and change in the reflection of light. If i run my fingers along the same edge, it is tight upto the other part of the frame until that point, where it seems to protrude out. By the end of the fixed door, the gap is about 5mm. This is where the water is mainly coming from.

I wouldn't accept a bit of silicone as a permanent fix - that's a temporary bodge. A new door shouldn't leak - make them take it out and give you one that doesn't leak. Start talking about Trading Standards.

I cannot trace the source of where the water is coming from. The water comes through on the inside, and there is no indication on the outside as to where it is getting in. The frame drains which are visible are clear, and everywhere else appears to be sealed properly. Im thinking its a frame flaw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back