New Patio on Clay - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im about to lay a patio (15sqm), I've dug it all out and have put 2 - 3inches of dolomite down and compacted it (its on clay). It appeared very solid but we have had bad rain up here and the whole area flooded and after the water drained away it was like wet cement. The question is if and when it dries out will it still be ok to lay the slabs on it? (I will be cementing down) If not any advice of what I need to do. (By way this is 1st time doing this so Im pretty much an idiot so the simpler the better!)

Thanks
Dom

Sponsored Links
don't fret, its not a bad sign really it means you've removed all of the soft free draining top soil and are left with the clay. So well done. :D

On a more helpful note it will probably take a while to dry out so don't be tempted to compact it again or your plate will sink into it like quicksand. The wet cement appearance is simply the dust in the mix holding water.

As long as its not mass of standing water ( which it shouldn't be if you got your falls right!!!) go ahead and lay your slabs the rain will have merely helped settle it even more by washing fines down into the sub-base.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back