New plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

What's the recommend way to paint new plaster walls - they are fully dry.
Some are board n skim & some are block, the grey foundation plaster stuff and then skim.
Should I use a plaster sealer or dilute emulsion ?

Please help as I want to get this right.

Many thanks

Stoyer

Sponsored Links
To be safe, buy Vinyl Matt in Dulux Trade or Leyland. Thin down first coat by 25% when using dulux or thin down first coat by 10% when using leyland. The choice is yours.

Cheers Third_Eye,

I will do just that, can I use neat paint once the first coat has been applied ?

Many thanks

Stoyer

Spooky. I was just about to ask the same. I have newly skimmed walls that have been left to dry for about 3 weeks now. I was told to dilute 4.1 a bog standard emulsion with water so it's good to get that confirmed. Thanks.

Dumb question alert though - why wait ages for the plaster to dry only to cover it with a watered down paint? The emulsion route is also better than PVA I assume?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
With me not being an expert in 'English' at school, well the decorating trade has learned me to investigate ALL wordings used in sentences on ALL paint tins. "Stoyer" when using Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt emulsion for second coat then thin 10/15% for this coat. Though when using Leyland for second coat then do not thin down (except for cutting in emulsion by 5%). "willougs" when you say "I was told to dilute 4.1 a bog standard emulsion with water" I ask myself what does this sentence really mean ! Applying an cheap emulsion on new plaster as an sealer coat is madness, as this is the most important coating th new plaster will ever have. By the term used "bog stanard" i understand this means any cheap emulsion. By applying cheap emulsion then i can advize that when these walls get an wallcovering over them and then try to strip the wallcovering at a later date, then unfortunatly your plaster surface will be ruined, as it will need to be lined or re-plastered as ALL the cheap emulsion will be torn to pieces. In other words use Dulux Trade or Leyland Vinyl Matt emulsion for new plaster. Also, me personaly have emulsione over new plaster after only 24 hours, but there is special paints for that. Usually when the plaster has gone all light pink then it is ok to emulsion (provided there is no damp work been done)

Third-Eye,

You have confirmed my thoughts.

Many thanks for your help - I will do just as you recommend.

Cheers

Stoyer

Alternatively, if you're willing to pay the extra and haven't got too much area to cover (I've only seen it in 2.5 litre pots), Dulux plaster sealer works really well.

It dries green so you can see if you've missed a bit. It does the business on skim plaster and I've even used it on bonding plaster and it's then been fine to paint over.

A couple of coats of emulsion over the top of that and your walls should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back