new programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my present programmer is of AMF Venner make and is about 1980'ish vintage i think...
it works ok but the little switches are getting a bit slack
it has a rotary dial which you set the markers for the on off period and does this on a daily basis only..ie 7 day.
there is a flick switch for hw and one for heating...on/off/timed
water has to be on to get heating
all this is quite satisfactory regarding the system operation
what i want to do is get a new programmer to match the existing one's functions as close as possible..twice a day is fine and weekend settings are not important as i am retired and every day is monday:(..or a sunday :)
the hot water demand is controlled only by the boiler stat
and the cen heat pump is controlled only by the hall stat.
there are no zone valves or other controls...the pilot light is lit by hand held gas lighter
may i please ask if i could have some idea of what the wiring would be and how to connect to a basic programmer and suggestions as to what model to buy...my boiler is potterton CF60 approx same age as programmer if that is of any use.
i haven't taken the existing programmer off the wall to check the wiring but could do this if it gives a better idea of the situation
yours
mrcrow
manchester

Sponsored Links
I have info on about 16 Venners mostly fairly simple things, but the wiring does move around the terminals between models. Try to find a number or extra name. (There's one called a Venneron which changes when it packs up to a Nevveron :D ).

I also stock about 16 different programmers. I think the most bestest for you is the Siemens/Landis and Staefa RWB2E which is

here http://www.landisstaefa.co.uk/prd/Res/prd_res_rwb.asp

The clever bit is that even though it has a friendly dial thingy, it still has the "boost" button which gives a single hour during an OFF period or extends the ON period by one hour. It has the normal once, twice and "change state" you'd expect.

If you must live in the dark ages you could use a Randall 102 like this
(the dial one I mean):

http://www.danfoss-randall.co.uk/si...intLevel=2&intLevel2ID=988&strSearchLocation=

Here's a challenge - which ever you like I'll flog you a new one cheaper than you can find it!

ChrisR said:
I have info on about 16 Venners mostly fairly simple things, but the wiring does move around the terminals between models. Try to find a number or extra name. (There's one called a Venneron which changes when it packs up to a Nevveron :D ).

I also stock about 16 different programmers. I think the most bestest for you is the Siemens/Landis and Staefa RWB2E which is

here http://www.landisstaefa.co.uk/prd/Res/prd_res_rwb.asp

The clever bit is that even though it has a friendly dial thingy, it still has the "boost" button which gives a single hour during an OFF period or extends the ON period by one hour. It has the normal once, twice and "change state" you'd expect.

If you must live in the dark ages you could use a Randall 102 like this
(the dial one I mean):

http://www.danfoss-randall.co.uk/si...intLevel=2&intLevel2ID=988&strSearchLocation=

Here's a challenge - which ever you like I'll flog you a new one cheaper than you can find it!
you have my ear chris...cheers
i will now go and take a peek at that little AMF venner box...hold on
CHC/W2Mk1A
:)
as for the dark ages...well i dont mind...the boiler and pump dont know whats pulling their strings..:D
i am obliged for your reply and will log those url's in fav's for info..
the venner is a bulky box so a slimmer body would be better..in my last house we had potterton controls and they were fine...and mrs crow understood them..:)
cheers

Oh that one. It goes

Two terminals for the roomstat marked "A/S" then

4 is N
3 ch on
2 N
1 hw on
N
L

You can download the RWB's instructions to see if it looks ok. If you had it in your mitts you wouldn't need instructions, except for that boost button.

Sponsored Links
thanks again chris for the wiring information
and the programmer sites..i have now downloaded the pdf's and can peruse them later..
cheers

you can find my email by clicking on my name in the forum postings section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back