NEW RAD AND VALVE PLACEMENT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to put a radiator in, can someone please tell me how i tell which is flow and return, does it matter which end the lockshield valve goes? is there a clue to working this out simply?

Sponsored Links
The flow will be the pipe that gets warm quickest.

As to which end to put the lockshield, this will depend upon whether you have thermostatic valves and which type they are. i.e whether or not they will mount on flow or return side of the pipe work. I'm pretty sure that with conventional non thermostatic valves you would put the lockshield on the return.

most thermostatic valves are bi directional and can go either end as can return valves

Sponsored Links
I agree with kingsway, as long as the thermostatic valve is a bi-directional type it can go either end therefore so can the lockshield valve. If the variable valve is manual, it can still go either end. The control and lockshield valve is identical construction, the only difference is the cap you have on top. One of them won't allow you to turn the valve, the other will. The most significant factor as to which will be the control and which lockshield is, "which is easiest to get to?"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back