New Rad on megaflow system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I need to add another radiator to my system, it got a normal Potterton boiler and Megaflow tank. All the pipework is in place so it's just a case of turning the water off, connecting the new rad then turning the system back on. Sorry, when I say 'just' thats not saying there isn't more to is but those are the main step as far as I see them. Anyway, my plumber (who I can't get hold of) said the cold stop cock needs turning off then a handle on the Megaflow needs cranking off, then all I need to do is drain the system a little as the rad is upstairs, then connect the new rad, turn the water back on then bleed the system. So my question is... I have two handles on the megaflow, one on the top and one off to the side, so which one do I turn off to stop the hot supply? And are there any other things I need to do?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
So I have all the pipe work in place and plan to part drain the system but how do I stop the megaflow pushing hot water round the heating system? Do I need to do anything to or near the megaflow to stop the water? I have a crank handle on top of the megaflow and one off to the side but there is also a red stop cock lower down near the floor next to the pump and motorised valves.

Hot comes out the top of the tank, the one going into the side will be the cold feed.

Why do you want to turn off your domestic hot water to change a radiator?

Hi John,

>Why do you want to turn off your domestic hot water to change a radiator?

Because i'm a complete idiot and didn't realise there are two different systems. Just figured out I need to fix the stop cock in the loft, turn off the boiler and partially drain the system then once fitted go round and bleed the system.

I got confused as my plumber said when I work with tap, turn the main water feed off and turn off one of the crank handles on the megaflow, then open a tap. Once the water has drained then fit new tap and turn the feeds back on. So I assumed the same would be true of the heating.

Sponsored Links
You got it mate, don't forget to add more inhibitor if a considerable amount of water was drained

Yes, when you come to refill your system, add it to the cistern before you untie/switch on your float valve so you know it has all gone in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back