New Radiator never heats up

Sponsored Links
you can, the information you require is in forum information

Sponsored Links
he has not been paid.

the 2 main pipes running under the floor, LHS is rad feed from motorised valve and RHS comes from the bottom of the cylinder (double indirect cylinder), in about the middle you can see the 15mm spur that supplies the new rad.

Stab in the dark here, are you sure the pipe you say is the return from the cylinder is actually the return and not the flow, this would give you two flows and no return giving the symptoms you describe, just because the pipe maybe comes from the bottom of the cylinder dont necessarily mean it is the "return", also I reckon the way it has been done means that the rad will get hot when hot water only is called for, because the return from the cylinder should be the last tee in before the boiler.

:idea: Sounds like the flow is ok
and the return is blocked.

Maybe the thermostatic rad valve is a cheap uni-directional one and is not permitting water to flow if it is indeed fitted on the return pipe.

read the instructions that came with the valve if they're not in the garbage. Could try the manufactures web site.

I appreciate the assistance, im not convinced that the return is the return.

the plumber is adamant but got a bit annoyed with me when i disagreed.

there are 4 pipes going into the floor of the airing cupboard, to me it looks like:

1. incomer from boiler to motorised valve to rads and cylinder.
2. a flow from the motorised valve going two ways one to front of house and the other being the feed discussed going to rear in picture.
3 and 4 both come off the bottom of the cylinder no 3 goes to front only.
number 4 goes both the front and also to rear which is alleged to be return in image.

when heating is on the alleged flow return get very hot and hot as expected but the spurs do not. however the flow is hot both sides of the spur and is one the first rear rad, in effect.

the radiator guy turned 3x upstairs rads off last night, and when i switched the heating on this morning the extension radiator came on, but when i turned the 3x upstairs back on the extension went off.

there are 7 rads upstairs and 8 down.

:LOL: :LOL:

British Gas chaps came out and immediately noticed that a bypass valve was fully open which apparently is not needed provided at least 1xrad (which I have) does not have a TRV.

Thanks for all the info and I hope that you people can use this experience to help others.

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back