New range cooker - separate circuit?

electric fan ovens can give a very regular and accurate heat, and are quicker than natural convection ovens. Timers for electric ovens are very easy to include, with duration and on and off times.
All true. Would it be that difficult to make gas ovens with fans and timers (maybe they exist?)?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
With the possible exception of induction hobs (of which I have no experience) [...] gas hobs are incredibly more 'controllable' than electric ones.
I can assure you that an induction hob is as responsive as gas - perhaps more so owing to less residual heat.

Would it be that difficult to make gas ovens with fans and timers (maybe they exist?)?
Fans might be a problem.

And I'm sure they used to do ones with timers. Nobody worries about gas boilers sitting there ready to be fired up at the appropriate time, so why not ovens?

Would it be that difficult to make gas ovens with fans and timers (maybe they exist?)?
Fans might be a problem.
Yes, I did think of that - but, then I recalled that many a boiler has a flue fan, so I'm not sure how big the problem actually is. ... and then I did a Google search for "gas fan oven", and found lots of them. QED.
And I'm sure they used to do ones with timers. Nobody worries about gas boilers sitting there ready to be fired up at the appropriate time, so why not ovens?
Quite - I thought exactly the same.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Years ago I had gas lights in my caravan and still use a gas fridge and I have gas central heating. The gas fridge has vents to outside so the heat does not get into the caravan. The central heating is now very efficient with the condensing boiler so is very good, the gas lights really kept the caravan warm although a problem with broken mantels and if a hole was not spotted the glass cover would shatter.

The Belling FSG60DOF Gas Cooker is very similar to the Belling FSE60i Electric Cooker the gas is slightly more expensive both have fan ovens grill is however in gas cooker is still electric, and the oven still uses the gas mark system rather than temperature control. The oven can't be set to auto start but can be set to auto stop.

Although clearly the gas cooker has improved it has not kept up with electric there are no auto simmer functions, it does not auto switch down the off if it over heats, i.e. food fire it does not auto switch off if left unattended for an excessive time, it has a naked flame and I am sure if invented today they would be banned.

However they do have their place. In my caravan there is no real option there just is not the supply to use electric. OK maybe the microwave, but if you want a cooker it's gas or nothing.

Back before the induction hob the gas cooker did have the edge. It was faster and more controllable but when the induction hob arrived the gas cooker became the poor second and only where the power needed for a induction hob is not available as with a caravan and it would seem the posters kitchen can gas still reign supreme.

I will also admit although my electric cooker has always had an oven timer they only ever get used for the Christmas turkey and then only to turn off the oven so the gas one would have worked just as well. Although the electric oven today does have back fan heat, top heat and bottom heat and combinations of the three with things like closed door grilling which the gas cooker can't emulate.

If I lived in a house where to use electric I would need to run new cables yes I would consider gas. So if in the posters house yes I would be happy with gas rather than running new cables.

At the end of the day the cost of gas per kWhour is a third of electricity.

Back before the induction hob the gas cooker did have the edge. It was faster and more controllable but when the induction hob arrived the gas cooker became the poor second.
I don't doubt that is true, but how common/fashionable are induction hobs? I don't think I personally know anyone who has got one.

Kind Regards, John

Whilst there might be some out there (I've not actively looked), I have never seen an induction hob where some idiot has not been allowed to prioritise form over function and "designed" controls which are complicated to use and/or which are placed so that they are obscured by a pan on the hob.

For me these are sides which are so far down as to make the hob totally unacceptable.

Indeed.

And in the process they have decided that ease of use, and actually being able to reach the controls, are to be sacrificed on the altar of "it looks good in the showroom".

Despicable, really.

Whilst there might be some out there (I've not actively looked), I have never seen an induction hob where some idiot has not been allowed to prioritise form over function and "designed" controls which are complicated to use and/or which are placed so that they are obscured by a pan on the hob.

For me these are sides which are so far down as to make the hob totally unacceptable.
I have to agree with you the human machine interface used with many ceramic hobs means the hob is spoilt. There was a point pre-induction to have wipe clean surfaces, but with induction the hob does not get that hot so stuff does not bake on in the same way, I was lucky my cooker has knobs across the front of the unit.

However since the poster does not have enough supply for an induction hob it really does not matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back