new roof in progress-does it look ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
I'm only a DIYer but I'd say it looks like an awful job so far.
Picture 1 shows all the lathes ending on the same rafter. IIRC, there should be at least two rows between for lathes ending on the same rafter.
i.e. you stagger your lathe joints. I'll see if I can find a link for guidance.

Picture 2, they've put the slates upsidedown. ;) And there doesn't seem to be enough headlap to cover the old nail holes.

The slates you say are the wrong way around are not yet affixed. I believe they are put there for later. Thanks for your post.

To continue. picture 3: the membrane should continue on over the wall.
Picture 4 & 5, the top of the slate should rest on the upper batten, otherwise all the slates lower end will be kicked up.

Sponsored Links
Same as redherring, looks awful, joints not staggered in counters, nailholes showing, broken shoulders etc.

yup, looks terrible.

couisns a roofer and done our roof with slate, looks beautiful.

if the slates broken, it needs replacing...simples.

The batten is the wrong size.
The batten gauge is wrong
The slates are carp

Basically an attempt by somone who knows nothing. I hope your not paying for this because it needs stripping off.

gotta agree with the guys the job is terrible its definatly clear batten gauge is wrong slates are a mess and the good ones if there is any should be holed with a holing machine if they turn up tomorrow chase them and get a proper roofer to take it all off and do a decent job :eek:

Thanks for your comments guys. Please could you have a look at the new post I have made showing the progress with the front of the roof.

For the first week 2 guys worked 11am to 330pm to strip the roof, felt and re batten. Last week they started a bathroom and just one guy came for half a day. He retiled most of the front which was lightning quick compared to their previous pace. It makes me suspect some sloppiness. He only really came to do any work that day because I told him I wasn't happy with no shows - he keeps saying " ill be there tomorrow" and just doesn't turn up, no phone call, nothing.

On the one hand I want this job done but one the other I'm not prepared to sacrifice quality for the sake of speediness.

Would local roofers be prepared to come and evaluate the work done for a small fee? Or is this a terrible idea?

This thread is clearly not a wind up. I am genuinely looking for advice from people who know their stuff. I have started a new thread in the roofing and guttering section with more recent pictures called "opinions on roofing job from qualified roofers please".

Please take a look at the new thread. Any serious advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg

[code:1]
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2131964#2131964[/code:1]

You have an evaluation of the work from the posters on here, the works completed so far is of very poor quality you will be lucky if the slates last the winter the way they have been fixed.
I hope you have not made any payments to the so called roofers as in my opinion the lot should be stripped and done properly.

Poorly fitted membrane.
Wrong batten guage.
Wrong size of battens.
Poor quality slate.
Nail holes???? a mess.
Even the under eave slates are fitted the wrong way up.

These are all pointers to the guys not knowing what they are doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back