New roof leaks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last month I had a new roof extension tiled with Calderdale dark grey concrete on top of breathable membrane and had some problems in the first week with leaks on the hips and leaks near and around these areas these have now been fixed after multiple visits as the dry hip system was not fitted correctly.

The visits resulted in 1) replacing the stick down bits on the dry hip system as the guys originally stuck it on top of dusty tiles and 2) replacing loads tiles that were cracked.

After a 2 weeks of no leaks, a little moisture, i have started to get leaking in the roof by the gable wall and down one side of the garage roof.

The BI has been out and checked the pitch and it is above what is recommended at 19.5 deg (not massive but fine) so we are OK there but he seems to think that the problem may lie in the lead flashing along the gable wall and down the gable wall where the pitch roof hip joins.

BI suggested I put on a longer connection to the down pipe to take the rain water away from the lead which stopped the majority of the leaking but there still seems to be a bit coming through with heavy rain.

The job is covered by a guarantee so i can get the guy out as many times as needed but before i get these guys out for the 6th time can someone take a look at these pics and see if the BI is right? I don't doubt the BI I'm not sure how the roofer is going to take being told his job from a BI?

So I'm just looking for guidance please.

Cheers
Pete[/img]

Sponsored Links
Well, for a start there should not be lead soakers at the side abutments as there is no support at the rear of the soaker, they should either be pre-formed rigid soaker units as made by Danelaw or a secret gutter. The flashing at the top edge should have a minimum of 150mm cover over the top of the tiles (can't make out for sure wether you have that cover).

One thing also to check is that there is sufficient lap on the tiles, 100mm minimum at that pitch)

If you click on the OP's name it will take you to his folder and then click on the pic's.

Sponsored Links
Well, for a start there should not be lead soakers at the side abutments as there is no support at the rear of the soaker, they should either be pre-formed rigid soaker units as made by Danelaw or a secret gutter. The flashing at the top edge should have a minimum of 150mm cover over the top of the tiles (can't make out for sure wether you have that cover).

One thing also to check is that there is sufficient lap on the tiles, 100mm minimum at that pitch)

So the current lead should be stripped and replaced then?

Cant check the 150mm cover till the weekend

BI said the lap on tiles is fine but i will check again this weekend.

Cheers

Has a cavity tray been installed?
Where the roof abuts the existing wall, they appear to have put flashings in but if there is no cavity tray, any moisture getting into the brickwork above will appear on the inside wall below as a damp patch.

Your flashings are as much good as a chocolate kettle and your bell end of a BI should have told you this
Your abutment flashing should have been either a stepped flashing with secret gutter or stepped flashing with cover flashing and secret gutter.. At the very least stepped flashing with soakers, but the soakers go under the tile and not above the tile as your man has done, or stepped flashing with cover flashing but this can be a bit dodgy with slate style interlockers. Your stepped flashing is not high enough, the saddle at top of hip is to small and cover flashing is not deep enough.
Increasing the length of down pipe will have slightly improved the situation..
Suggest you pray for good weather. :)
Regards oldun

i'd re check roof pitch looks less than 19 to me, headlap on tiles needs checking to.
looks like no cavity tray is fitted (if there is a cavity)

The dry fix hip looks crap... but judging by the flashing pointing it'll be the lesser og two evils.

preformed soakers would be better or secret gutter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back