New Roof - only partial replacement of old sarking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We are having a new roof installed. The quote stated that they would "strip off all existing roof coverings back to timber joists and then supply and fit new 9mm plywood decking to joists". I had a look in the loft and expected to see all new plywood but was concerned to see the old horizontal wooden planks (sarking?) left in place in approx one third of the roof area. I called the contracts manager to ask about this and he said that they would not replace these unless they were water damaged and that he had seen them and that they were OK. Is this correct practice? I do not understand why if they are providing a complete new roof with guarantee that they would choose to leave old parts in place (from the loft it looks like a patchwork). I need to know if this will effect the performance of the roof and any advice you can offer re my next move would be appreciated. At present they have put the membrane and batons on and are starting to put the tiles on.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the quote said:

"strip off all existing roof coverings back to timber joists and then supply and fit new 9mm plywood decking to joists".

then you should point out that work being done is not in conformance with contract, and that you will be adjusting the price as you consider necessary.

He should not be expecting to get a full price from a partial job.

It wont affect the performance of the roof, but as john said the price should be adjusted accordingly.

Thanks for the info, I also checked with the NFRC and their response was the same. I will wait until I receive the invoice and then ask for the relevant price adjustment. I should be able to work out the amount of ply missing, can you give any guidance on how I can then apply a labour element?

Sponsored Links
you really ought to point it out as soon as you observe the discrepancy.

Aye, this is a common problem, people leaving things and then saying post invoice, you must mention it now at least, it will be less awkward than after he has invoiced you, it’s not unreasonable and if your contractor is reasonable he will be ok, assuming he won’t adjust the price without asking that is which he might? Depends what kind of company it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back