New roof worries.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am having an extension done at the moment by a general builder and I am a bit concerned about the roof.
His labourer has done the felting, battening and the tiling and he is currently doing the lead flashing.
A few things are worrying me,
1) There doesn't seem to be any ventilation anywhere.
2) At the bottom of the roof where it joins the fascia board the felt sags down so any water that gets on the felt will just sit there.
3) Where the roof joins the house, the tiles are about 100mm short as you can see the top batten when you look under the flashing.
4) The flashing is not finished yet but I am a little concerned that the flashing seems to be too tight over the tiles. I realise that he has to mould it to shape but it seems as though it has to stretch a lot to fit properly.
5) Also he has bought a soil pipe sleeve for the flashing but rather than fit the soil pipe through it he has cut the back of it!

So many questions I know but I am rather worried.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
they appear to have used code 3 lead (green tape) instead of the minimum code 4 (blue tape).

the lead up-stand should have been a course higher.

the split at the back of the lead slate is abysmal and will either need replacing or a soldering repair carried out, though this will be awkward due to location.

it may have breathable membrane though this is no guarantee that building control will accept this as sufficient ventilation. we usually fit over fascia vents as a precaution.

the lathes can be oriented so that the final tile nibs fit snug against the wall. there is no excuse for not being able to achieve this.

an eaves tray is fitted to alleviate the problems of sag at the fascia detail.

As above, but I 'd add that its a bit of crapp work

IIRC, Tyvek (who make breather membranes) have some sort of tech guide or test result paper to show that additional venting is not needed when [their] membrane is used. But TBH, there is no point in using breather membranes if you have to vent as well!

there is no point in using breather membranes if you have to vent as well!

we use them because their strength is superior. try using bituminous sarking on a hot day!

plus it is lightweight, thin and covers 1.5m a pop.

Sponsored Links
I can fit soffit vents myself if this will help.

But that is the least of my problems as I have just been round to the builders house (down the road) and had a big row with him.
He is moaning about me going around there in the evening with problems.
IF HE DONE HIS F%$&ING JOB RIGHT THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEMS AND HE WOULDN'T F&%$ING SEE ME !!!!

To$$er.

.... I have just been round to the builders house (down the road) and had a big row with him.

Yes, thats one way to ensure that he will listen to your concerns and be willing to sort any problems out

You said that the labourer has done the roof, so did the builder know of any problems?

You've certainly got his back up now :rolleyes:

The labourer did the roof at the weekend with his 'mate'.
The builder has been on site today, and yes he said he told the labourer that he should have put a piece of wood at the top to fill in the 100mm, but they proceeded to put the lead flashing up anyway, and just leave it!
As for getting his back up, like I said, if he didn't try to bodge things up I would have nothing to complain about would I?

btw, I didn't go round to purposely have a row with him, he just wasn't interested in any of the concerns that I had.

btw, I didn't go round to purposely have a row with him, he just wasn't interested in any of the concerns that I had.

Yes but people like to go home and leave work at work. Its not as if the roof was falling in, and yes people do make mistakes but this could have waited

You could have called him tomorrow first thing, or left him a note asking him to contact you urgently before carrying on.

It's not what you say, but how you say it.

About the lead flashing. I personally think the builder knew it was a high bold roll profile tile so he used thinner lead in the chance it might dress down better to the profile of the tile.

The lad has not posted again so I assume he is happy with the works carried out.

PMSL :LOL:

About the lead flashing. I personally think the builder knew it was a high bold roll profile tile so he used thinner lead in the chance it might dress down better to the profile of the tile.

The lad has not posted again so I assume he is happy with the works carried out.

PMSL :LOL:

Can't really see what's so funny. :confused:

And in reply, no, the 'lad' isn't happy with the roofing works carried out so I have spent the last couple of days putting it right.
Never done any lead work before, and if you take your time you can get some nice results.
I am well chuffed with it now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back