new roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whats the best way to join a new tile roof with a old one
I'm planing on re tiling this small roof over the bathroom.
roof2.jpg

roof.jpg

total re roof new felt baton and tile what size baton do i need
im planning on using
- Redland
- marley
- Monier
- any uther god tiles out there i can you?

Sponsored Links
if i was to use sandtoft concrete tiles Standard Pattern
(Commonly referred to as the 15" x 9", this tile is suitable for roof pitches down to 17.5º.)

will i need to bulk up to joists ect to hold the new roof

When you say 'total re-roof' i take it you mean re-tile and not replacing the roof timbers?

If the pitch of the roof is ok, then why not replace the roof with plain tiles the same as what is there. This way (provided the gauge allows) you could marry into your neighbours gauge.

However, if the pitch is a wee bit shallow and you want to go with something completely different, then you will need to install a dry valley gutter up the join.

You are unlikely to be adding any more weight with the tiles you have chosen.

But... if the roof timbers are inadequate to begin with and there are signs of 'tiredness', you may be wise to beef them up whilst the roof is off. This may be something simple like a purlin at mid-span hung from gable to party gable.

Sponsored Links
Id go for same sized tiles and match back in to neighbours, saves messing about with a secrete gutter or mopstick roll.
The smaller tiles look more suited on a small roof like that.

If you use velux, all the instructions will come with them.
Basicaly, cut out the openings to size, double up the trimmers etc, fit the window at the right height.
Make sure you have the correct flashing kits for the type of tiles your using.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back