New shower conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope this is the right place - effectively the question is about how to install a new shower in a refurbishment with a couple of logistical challenges. Maybe someone can provide a solution that I've not contemplated yet.

I have this property with a small (let's use the word "compact") bathroom that's actually decorated quite nicely, so I don't want to rip it out as part of the refurbishment - I'm hoping to leave it as-is for the most part. However, it does not have a shower at all.

It looks something like this:

bathroom.jpg

Usually it would seem pretty standard to connect a combi-fed shower to the taps at the head of the bath and install a shower screen. However, that window definitely gets in the way of me having this done - or at least that seems obvious to me.

I thought option 1 might be to rotate the bath so the taps and the steep incline end are at the other end, then install the shower over the taps. Seems like a lot of work!

I wondered whether option 2 could be to get away with having the shower installed at the back of the bath - but that seems weird, not sure of any regulations in that space either, or even just thoughts about the common sense danger angle from doing this... but it would ease a big headache - take off the side panel, run pipes, shower head could come out from the bottom wall nearer the centre of the bath... would it work?

To do that I think I'd need a shower with exposed vertical pipes that can come up just below where the bath ends. I'd need to be careful this area doesn't hold standing water and it all flows back into the bath. The person would still be standing some way from the wall as the bath has the shallower incline at the rear, obviously.

The walls are fully tiled and it would be nice to have everything surface mounted rather then cutting into them.

Am I thinking sensibly about this?

It's not a DIY job for me, but I want to talk to a plumber / shower fitter I'll employ with a good idea of what I am looking for. I would welcome any thoughts people might have. I do need a proper shower in here, not some contraption you'd hook up to the taps. I also need a combi-fed one, not electric.

Ventilation is going to need to be via the window. When I had the rewire done I did not think of getting power in there for an extractor fan! Dufus.

Sponsored Links
I would say to turn the bath around and have the shower on the end with a shower screen, with an electric extractor fan(with timer) above the toilet. Also it looks like you could have a bigger bath.

Andy

Any chance of putting a ceiling-fed shower in there? It'd save having pipes flying all over the place

ae235

JU-MTLSHX-C-904x1024.jpg

Not ceiling-fed, I think, no. But is there the same concept feeding from below, rather than behind?

There is a bedroom over this room and the only pipes I think are available to connect to are the bath taps.

Sponsored Links
you would be very lucky not to damage any tiles ( especially trying to match tiles if you have no spare ) and you have very limited choices TBH on installation of what your after . if you rotate the bath you would probably have to install more tiles to fill in where bath was previously ( again matching original tiles , if been in a while and lucky being able to purchasing same tiles again still may not be the same shade of colour ) .

is your picture exact to dimensions e.g the window above the bath , how much ( measurement ) does your window overhang your bath , if not as much as your picture precludes i may have an idea.

oh ye hello again , hope your handyman hasn't gone on holiday again:LOL:(y);)

It's not exact but the window overhangs the bath by quite some way.

I had a Plumber come around today, we've decided to put a shower at the back of the bath. Shower will have 2 heads, one a sticky-out raindance type and a hose-attached wand. Some tiles will need to be removed but he's gonna try his hardest (don't we all?) to not break 'em.

£200 labour... happy with that.

in your situation it might be the easiest way but be prepared for broken tiles if unlucky, think about it now not later , because odd tiles look naff . amount of bathrooms I've done in the past so customer could just have a shower after a bathroom refurb was done is ridiculous , some people does don't think ahead enough ( not saying you ) . just prepare for the worst so you have a plan is what I'm saying (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back