New shower...correct MCB?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed a Mira 9.0kw shower. 10mm cable running under the floor back to the CU. It currently has a 32amp MCB on the RCD side, but I need a 40amp. Can I just swap this over with a single pole 40amp type B?

Sponsored Links
Yes, assuming your 10mm cable doesn't pass through any thermal insulation which would reduce its current carrying capacity.

The cable just runs directly up into the loft, over to the pull switch in the bathroom, and then from there, it's tacked inside a stud wall support down to under the floor boards to just above the CU, and it's currently hanging into the sitting room waiting to be connected up.

The CU is a Memera 2000 (pt 13??) Other than that I know it's about 8 yrs old.

Before going near the CU, is it legal to do so? I've heard there could be a big fine for attempting the work yourself. If you do and then sell your house there'd be no certificate to show it was safe either...any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
As it is a new circuit it should to notified to them higher powers if you do put it in the board its good practice to have the higher rated mcb s closest to the main switch or in your case RCD

The Mira comes in two types, this one anyway, and ours is the 9Kw not the 9.8. Any other ideas on the legalities of wiring it in yourself?

You should tell the building control at the council to be legal before the work starts :LOL: as its a new circuit and its in a special location eg bathroom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back