New shower install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I'm having a new shower installed in my upstairs bathroom, no shower there yet but so new install, bathroom is being replaced so can do whatever needs doing.

The wall the bath is on is next to the airing cupboard so pipes, pumps and power can be run in there.

~I've been offered two solutions, one is a power shower mixer, the all in one unit, it was suggested i have a switched fcu spured off the immersion heater and the pipes going to the shower just spured off the bath taps (both fed from tanks)

2nd solution is a plug sopcket spured of a ring main socket and a pump to be plugged into it, this pump is the spured off the main pipe out the hot water tank (just after it splits into a 15mm and 22mm, the 15 mm feedding the hot water tap, the 22mm going to the loft). this will then feed a mixer shower which is set in the wall.

How do these sound?

bit concerned by the electrical side (will have a sparky in to do tho) and a little concerned how the pumps are too be plummed in or is this normal?
I asked the first one about a seperate pump but he said you couldnt change the valve on the hot water tank without a very good chnce of the tank breaking and a new one being needed (it is an old old tank) and is a pump was connected further down the pipe it would suck in air...

please put my mind to rest :)

Sponsored Links
Given your hot water storage is so close, I would suggest a separate shower pump in the airing cupboard with a thermostatic mixer shower on the wall that backs onto airing cupboard. Something like a Mira Element isn't too expensive, reliable and looks good. Go for ev (Exposed valve, Variable head). Salamander pumps are reliable. Get sprky to put fused spur in the airing cupbord...

Feed the pump cold from your cold water storage cistern, and hot from the cylinder...[/url]

Ok just wanted to check a couple of final points as im allways a little paranoid when i dont quite understand it all!
without any extra work theres no risk of air being sucked through the pump?
The pump can just tee off the pipework that feeds the bathroom (15mm pipes)
You dont need a pull cord switch in the bathroom or switch just outside?
Whats the risk of water getting through the hole created for the sunken shower? i was going to tank the walls with the paint on stuff, is there anything extra i will need to do around the shower?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back