new shower mcb

Sponsored Links
would you suggest a better make in 40A

i can get one locally from an electrical outlet...which make is good
You can't/shouldn't mix'n'match different makes.

If you don't want Chint MCBs, don't have a Chint CU.

To be fair, Ban, it most probably wasn't his choice...

What Rating is the MCB? you say 40Amp , but what letter?

I had a Faulty MCB, it had prev had wired into it the shower and the Fan for the shower, and would get hot when shower was in use, eventualy causing same problem as you seem to have.... I purchased a New MCB 40Amp rated B and replaced it, shower works damn fine now..... and its a Mira.....

Disconnect Mains.... check conections from shower to switch, switch to the CU, replace MCB, Reconect Mains and test..... Could be as simple as a fualty MCB.... Defo wouldnt go putting a 50Amp MCB on their, just it case it causes other probs.

Sponsored Links
You should not contemplate changing the MCB for a higher rating unless the cable size is adequate (which is why I was asking the OP earlier)

As a first, easiest, step I would go and buy a new 40A Chink MCB and swop it for the esxiting MCB.
Although they are not the best it should conform to the spec. Then you will know if its the MCB or not.
They are cheap enough. Dont try and put an MCb from another maker in your board as there are differences in busbar positioning and it may not fit.

great info on that mixing mcb's...that wouldnt have occurred to me as a punter

i will get another c***t... ;) mcb then rated at 40

(master abacus...the letter is B.... B40 on the mcb)

and see how it goes...i do aim to strip out the isolator and check its connections..

this has been a very informative thread...thanks...and i see many links on the same subject

should have got the 8.5Kw shower in the first place

as for the cable...please...what markings would be on it to tell me its rating or area size...its in the loft so i can access it easily

it was for the earlier shower but if its not correct i will get our electrician to come and do the lot...he put in the new CU in the first place and upgraded the electrics for the new kitchen...but the plumber did the shower since it was done after the kitchen...a few weeks later..so the electical engineer wouldnt have had any knowledge as to what shower we were substituting..and fitted the B40 similar to the old mcb rating i assume
cheers
mrcrow
manchester

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back