New shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys

My central heating is of the conventional type, water tank in the loft, cylinder in cupboard.

Pressure is low for the bath/shower mixer.

I consider fitting a Techflo Twin Pump should be sufficient.

Any advice on that please.

Thank you.

Nitell

Sponsored Links
That's Stuart Turners old budget range (is now the showermate), they're ok but all plastic so life may not be limited. ST provide good support but as far as the pump is concerned then it's not the most sturdy. They're also not continuous rated so they only have a duty cycle of 30mins on/off, if I remember.

If you're willing to spend a bit more then an ST Monsoon are much more superior will last a long time and service kits are available to extend their life.

i have a monsoon and it’s a great pump. the only problem i have is it’s too powerful and will suck air in from the tank if the taps are turned on full.

You do have to consider the location. If it’s too far from the hot water tank i’d go with a less powerful one than 3 bar

Many thanks for helpful/useful replies.

Space for the pump is right next to hot water cylinder so may be a Monsoon 1.5 or 2.0 Bar, Twin pump, should be sufficient ?.

At the moment when the shower is in the holder, minimal water comes out, a trickle.

Sponsored Links
Yes, a 1.5 or 2 bar twin Monsoon should be more than fine if it's only feeding one shower. Depends on how much of a skin peeling shower you want ;)

Just remember capacities and also check that your cold water storage cistern (CWSC) is up to the job to supply both hot and cold. The pump will need it's own dedicated hot and cold feeds from the HW cylinder and CWSC to ensure it isn't starved.

If you are only getting a trickle at the shower head then careful consideration needs to be given as to whether you need a universal pump or not as you may not have enough flow (2 L/min) to activate a standard positive pump

Hello guys

My central heating is of the conventional type, water tank in the loft, cylinder in cupboard.

Pressure is low for the bath/shower mixer.

I consider fitting a Techflo Twin Pump should be sufficient.

Any advice on that please.

Thank you.

Nitell
Нi
If I understand you correct.
I have suggest an option for you.

Attachments

• shower pump.png
    shower pump.png
    130 KB · Views: 133
The previous poster seems to be suggesting putting a valve on the safety vent of an open vented hot water cylinder. This is in contravention of regulations. Do not do it. The poster may be from another country where regulations are different from ours.

The previous poster seems to be suggesting putting a valve on the safety vent of an open vented hot water cylinder. This is in contravention of regulations. Do not do it. The poster may be from another country where regulations are different from ours.

Thank you for your comment.
I see my mistake.
I locked the safety piping!

Нi
If I understand you correct.
I have suggest an option for you.

Never ever put a valve on an open vent pipe, it's a vent pipe for a reason.

A trickle at the shower head has nothing to do with the vent pipe anyway, it's to do with the how high the cold water is above the head of the shower. Less than 1m above and there will not be enough head of pressure to activate the flow switches

Never ever put a valve on an open vent pipe, it's a vent pipe for a reason.

A trickle at the shower head has nothing to do with the vent pipe anyway, it's to do with the how high the cold water is above the head of the shower. Less than 1m above and there will not be enough head of pressure to activate the flow switches
If the pressure before the pump is less than 0.2Bar=2m, then the pump can be switched on manually?

It can be yes, you can rig a pull switch to jump the pump into starting once the shower is turned on and once it flows it should keep going.

You used to get pumps that had an air pressure switch, activated by a remote push button bellows that connected to the pump switch via a small tube. Not sure if they're still around, they were fine till the bellows burst.

Thanks to everyone for replies. All advices taken into account.

There was one error in my first post. I rechecked and found its not a trickle. Its a flow, but a low flow. If it was coming from a tap it would be Okay.

I have taken advice to get a Monsoon, but as it is only feeding one shower, pressure wise, is it safer to fit a 1.5 or 2.0 bar ?.

Again, depends on how much of a skin tingling shower you want, either pump will do the job handsomely but you do need to check the supply will handle what you want it to do, for the time you want it to do it for.

I feel the cylinder is big enough and the cold tank is a large one.

The Immersion Heater have a 13A FCU (not a spur) supplied from the Consumer Unit.

That FCU, is the nearest point from which I could run another FCU to supply the pump which takes 435W at almost 2A.

If that is not feasible, I believe there is a spare on the consumer unit. But that would be more work.

Otherwise I could check what the Regulations say, as the Immersion Heater is only a standby provision.

Thanks for you ideas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back