New shower room - venting and waste options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of moving, and hoping to add a new shower room from an existing pantry as can see seen below in green:

This room does have a window but its not external, rather is to a shared tenement close, so is more of a light source. I am looking at the shower tray waste pipe, and reckon it can join the adjacent kitchen behind any worktop units to where the existing kitchn sink is (shown in brown). In terms of venting the shower room however, I guess there are two options:

1) Vent upwards - this is top floor flat and has a huge roof void above. Can an extractor just push any air into that space? Should it be fed to the eaves where there is a natural ventilatio gap? Does it need to be a stack going vertically up (not sure how straightforward an option, since the roof itself is classed as shared).
2) Vent towards the nearest outside wall approx 15' away, which would be the green arrow. This would alo have the advantage of allowing me to vent the cooker hood similarly (right now it seems more 'decorative' and only filters grease from the air and recycles - something I want to change). Would I require say two extractors - one above the shower and one at the external wall to effectively pull the moist air out?

Option 1 would possibly be easier to do, but I am looking for what would give the best results?

Additionally, I have discounted the idea of a WC in the shower room but the wife sees it as being useful :rolleyes: - the waste would need to go to where the existing WC is (in red), and under the floorboards in a convoluted way. Its not really an option, correct?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back