New Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all.

Im planning on fitting a new electric shower for my mate soon, hes just moved into a new house and has a mixer shower in the ensuit.

Its run off of an open vented cylender + Cold Storage tank and its poo.

He wants a mains pressure electric one in. Should I be ok taking the existing copper pipe thats being run from the cold storage to the shower and hooking it upto the mains?

Im quite compitent in pipework ect, but admitedly I only really do repairs and servicing never really installed/converted pipes etc.

any advice greatly appriciated

Sponsored Links
Take cold mains directly to shower without going through tank if thats what you mean. Whats a haddie chocker doing up at this time of night has someone been buying you drink. :LOL: :LOL:

Connect it up to the cold water rising main (high pressure) not the cold water storage tank outlet.
Also an electric shower draws a high current from the mains so needs it's own dedicated supply from the main consumer unit. All the usuall warnings about part p should apply sinse it'll be classed as a wet room(Special location).

If the existing mixer shower is working hot enough why don't you just fit a booster pump?

-Neil

Im always up to mfar past my bed time :eek: to much caffine in the day, only wish it was alchohol!

Im going to suggest a booster pump to him first, seen them before, with 4 pipes on them, how does that work?

Yea, I know about hte electrics (well enough to know that Im not the person thats gonna be connecting it)

My main concern was if pipework that currently runs form the tank is used directly from the cold mains if it can take the pressure hike?
How often do u do this and find the pipes leak?

Sponsored Links
ScottishGasMan said:
Its run off of an open vented cylender + Cold Storage tank and its poo.
It he means (or you mean) that the flow is poor, then why not keep all of the existing equipment and simply add a pump?

He wants a mains pressure electric one in. Should I be ok taking the existing copper pipe thats being run from the cold storage to the shower and hooking it upto the mains?
Yes. Although that pipe has probably been run in 22mm (or 3/4") and the shower connection will need to be in 15mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back