New Skim - Am I Being Too Fusy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just had my front bedroom top skimmed after stripping the old wallpaper off.

Whilst doing the base coat I noticed a number of glitches. My wife thinks that I am being too fusy and that the job is OK.

I have added the images. They where taken at close range so each image shows an area of around 12 square cm. There are about 3-4 glitches per wall.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
base coat?
do you mean you applied a two coat finish?
It does look a bit shyt to be honest, did you get all the crap of the wall and was your first coat about 2mm.

Confused here. :confused: Who did the job,, was it you,, or did you get a "skimmer" in?? and no,, you're not being fussy. A poor finish is always gonna be a poor job.

Sorry about the confusion.

We had somebody in to skim the walls after we had striped the wallpaper. He said leave it all to him!

I have just finished the mistcoat and have noticed the imperfections pictured.

I have never had a room skimmed before so I am unaware of how it should look. I thought a skim would be virtually perfect whilst my wife reckons that the finish is OK and I should accept some glitches.

Sponsored Links
A coat of paint really does show up any blemishes in the plaster finish. If you're not happy with the job, (and i agree with the opinion PBof Derry), get the plasterer back, point out the flaws, and get him to touch up the blemishes with easifill or similar, then sand it down. Better to notice/repair it now. If you pay good money, you expect to get a decent job done.

Your not being too fussy at all, thats crap & he needs to sort it out.

Hi there.

Even from DIY corner I'd agree with the consensus. Should be able to do much better than that on a finish.

£180.
The room is around 9.5 sqaure metres.

Is the area right - is it not a bit more?
If I've got the right end of the stick, most rooms are about 2.4m high, so that would be approx 1m wide on each of the 4 walls. Am I being thick here?

I'm guessing it's quite a small room and if the room is small, then there is even less excuse.

Nope your not being thick its me!.

The 9.5 square metres was the floor area so the walls are approx 3m.

I am starting to fill the bad areas, I have to paint the room this weekend.

what are you using as a filler, would be a good idea to sand down the rough areas first will help you with a key for your filler, specially since you have already applied a mist coat.
So you have had all four wall plastered, so we are talking about 3.0m x 2.5mx 4 (walls) thats about 29 sqm then, take a door and window out
so call it about 23 sqm = £180
say £20 for materials
No wonder the jobs a pile of shyte, bodge it and do one.
I think you have had your arsed slapped by a cheapo cowboy!
Just out of interest, how long did it take to do?

I bet he was an immigrant chancer.

what are you using as a filler, would be a good idea to sand down the rough areas first will help you with a key for your filler, specially since you have already applied a mist coat.
So you have had all four wall plastered, so we are talking about 3.0m x 2.5mx 4 (walls) thats about 29 sqm then, take a door and window out
so call it about 23 sqm = £180
say £20 for materials
No wonder the jobs a pile of shyte, bodge it and do one.
I think you have had your a***d slapped by a cheapo cowboy!
Just out of interest, how long did it take to do?

thats exactly the reason i asked how much he was charged.

The 9.5 square metres was the floor area so the walls are approx 3m.

I am starting to fill the bad areas, I have to paint the room this weekend.

Ah, that makes more sense.

It's a shame you're having to correct it yourself.
Did you make a phone call to see if he'd come back to tidy it up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back