new slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
currently getting a new slate roof but a lot of the tiles look like they are kicking up and not flat the house is 120 yr old so unsure if this would be rthe problem or should the tiles be flat
roof1.jpg
f2ee2338-1149-4d6a-b1a7-6415f0d8c7ed.jpg

Sponsored Links
Real slates (as against fibre cement types) require skill to set out to avoid that sort of random look- the slates need to be sorted as thin, medium, thick.
That roofline doesn't look dreadful but it doesn't look good either.

our orginal roof was welsh slate we were told that they would save what they could and replace with new now they have spanish slate on front welsh on the back is this common to have two diffrent slate types as they look totally diffrent ?

Sponsored Links
our orginal roof was welsh slate we were told that they would save what they could and replace with new now they have spanish slate on front welsh on the back is this common to have two diffrent slate types as they look totally diffrent ?
Its common where people are trying to save money- far better to reuse the old on site. You pays your money, you make your choice.
On most rooves you cannot see front and back at the same time (unless you get a drone out) so most people will not instantly notice the difference.
Presumably your pics are the Spanish side?- long as they're not rotten with ferrous inclusions and they keep the rain out i wouldn't worry too much (depends, of course, on how much you paid for the job).
(NB Not a roofing expert).

well we now have come to an agreement told the roofers we were not happy with the spanish tile and they are replacing it with 20 percent of our tile and the rest he had in the yard so 70 percent of the roof is our own slate and 30 percent is there not actually a new roof for 10 k but i would rather have the whole intire roof done in welsh my only other issue is the nails that they are using thought they would be copper but they look galvinasied what sort of life span would they have? thank so much for your input@oldbutnotdead

Again i'm no expert but I always use copper nails with slates- yes they cost more but an insignificant amount in the scheme of things. Mr Google reckons 30-50 years for galvanised, 80-100 years for copper. Either one will see me out ....

I had a roof redone in spanish slate once. The roofer did a great job. All looked good. Welsh was removed. Not good enough to put back. Still got close to £1k for it though from a different company....(10 years ago)

Sponsored Links
Back