new soil pipe for toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting in a new downstairs bathroom, we have dug out the floor and now need to get the pipework fitted for the new toilet, shower and sink before laying the concrete floor.

What do I need to consider?

Is planning required?

I believe the main drain runs down the drive parallel to the new bathroom. Our plumber who admitted he has little/no experience of this told us we will need a new manhole cover installing. That sounds expensive. But he mainly just referred us to our builder. The builder who is off site working on another job at the moment and is really too busy to fit this job in told us to talk to our plumber.

I am going around in circles at the moment but need to get this done as lots of other jobs in the house are waiting on the completion of this job.

Sponsored Links
You will not require planning permission in almost all cases, but the work will need to be signed of by BC as far as I am aware.

I would consider it more of a building job than a plumbing job, but it depends on the trades people you are employing!

building control officer came this morning, we told him plans and he didn't seem concern but then I spoke to the plumber who slightly panicked me.

I think the best thing is to try and get a couple of builders in to give me advice and a price.

can anyone indicate a likely price range for this kind of work?

Why have you dug up the floor?
Surely the pipe could have been taken out sideways through the wall to a short stub stack?

Sponsored Links
we had to dig out the floor for a couple of reasons but mainly that there wasn't enough headroom. Within the room which is becoming the bathroom was a 200yr old concrete vat (possibly either cider apple or fish store), the bottom of which was about a foot above the floor in the kitchen which is the room which adjoins the new bathroom. we needed to take the side out of the vat to make it into a room and the bottom out of it to give the room enough headroom.

to take the toilet pipe out through the wall rather than down through the floor and under the wall would require us to dig/drill out another side of the vat which is thick concrete and very tough going

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back