New speakers in a Peugeot 205

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I've had a look around on Ebay and I can find a couple of speakers for about £15. I was thinking about changing the speakers in my Peugeot 205 to get a better sound quality.

I was wondering if anyone knew the size of the speakers that can go in and whether it is easy to do or not?

for the record, I dont want to be one of those annoying idiots who blast out sound in speakers that are more powerful than their engines!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
i think you will find they are 5 inch in the doors,easy to change but be carefull the magnets on the back are not too deep or they wont fit in the doors,most replacement speakers at the lower end of the market should fit ok,spend just a little more on a good brand such as alpine,pioneer and you wont go far wrong

Sponsored Links
i would wip one of the old ones out first though to make sure

Yeah I might do that - do you reckon it will take very long? I have a garage, it might be worth garaging the car.
I'm waiting for a Haynes manual that I bought off Ebay so as soon as I get that I can check. cheers:)

Hi, sorry, ive got another question.

I have a pair of Saisho SX62 speakers that are doing nothing. Do you reckon it would be worth trying to wire these up to my stereo?

cheers:)

thats your choice really,depends on how into your music/system you are,personally i wouldnt bother with them,i cant remember on a 205 if you need to take off the door panels or just the speaker grills to get them out,door panel is quite easy to remove though

Hi mate,

I managed to put some time aside to take out the old speakers, and you were damn right my friend they are indeed 5" - cheers!

It was quite easy to get them out, so fitting them shouldn't be a problem!
Just need to buy me some speakers now.
I could see why the older ones were distorting, the rims of the speaker are wrecked! probably from moisture I would imagine!

Cheers mate, you have been a real help:D

Hi the actual size is 5 1/4 inch or 130mm. I am a 205 enthusiast and regularly use 205GTIDRIVERS.COM. I have used the following makes Kenweed, JBL, and Alpine. I have always been very happy with the performance from all of them, however on some of them the tweeter mounted on the speakers can make it awkward to put the original speaker grills back on but by no means impossible. Just remember a speaker is only as good as the sound is put into it. Also if you want any help or advice on this then just ask as I have done more than enough ICE installs in 205s.

Hi jeremy hughes thanks ever so much for your response, if I had seen it sooner I would have checked the depth of the speaker as ch427 said too. I bought some cheap speakers from Maplin.

I'll tell you how I did, I ripped the plugs off the old speakers and soldered the plugs onto the new ones. I then screwed the speakers in which fit perfectly but then I realised the driver was sticking right out and made it impossible for me to put the grill back on. So I checked to see what it was and it was the plastic strips that go accross the grill. I then decided to cut the strips off and have the grill bars flat it took quite some time but with a bit of patience I cut them all off. I then fitted the grills back on and now it sits nicely! I've turned the volume to full to check the driver doesnt hit against the grill (and it doesn't).

I'm fairly pleased with the quality and I might consider changing the back ones too! Cheers for your advice you two. Many thanks! :)

Sponsored Links
Back