New staircases

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of converting out loft. I've got a builder in to do the external works as it would have taken me too long and we'd have had the house open to the elements for too long but we're nearly back to being watertight now so its almost time for me to kick in with everything else.

I need to fit two new staircases, is this a job for professionals or it is a realistic diy project? One staircase is a straight run and the second has a 1/4 winder at the top. I've ready numerous books and understand the theory behind how to construct them but wondered if its quite tricky in reality. Can't find standard staircases to suit our floor to floor heights so at best i'm gonna have to buy a staircase and amend it or get one custom made.

Basically looking for some advice as to whether i should be attempting this or not?

Sponsored Links
you will know you can't tinker with a staircase as all steps must be even
how many mm/ inches are you out!!!!

what things have you made out off wood and how well can you use a router!!!!

Sponsored Links
Only really done general wood contruction in the past - cupboards etc.. although i was once told my dovetail joints were the best this guy had seen - not gonna help me on a staircase though!!

Like you say, i don't think buying a standard set and altering will work as most standards seem to be 2600, 2650, 2700, 2750 etc total rise and i'm looking at 15 - 20 mm either side of these figures. Also standard sets seem to be 850mm wide minimum and i'm looking at a narrow 750mm.

I've got a router but not done much with it yet - was gonna get some practice in!!

I'm fairly confident (albeit maybe naively) about the straight set but worried the winders on the other flight might cause me problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back