New stud wall - with inbuilt fishtank along full length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I'm moving my bathroom wall slightly (it currently juts out unnecessarily into the living room).

I'd like to put in a wall to wall wish tank - dimensions would be 30cm high, 15cm deep, and 240cm long. I plan to put one-way mirror on the bathroom side, so you can see the fish from both sides, but you can't see into the bathroom from the living room side, just a reflection of the fish tank.

Question is, would a span of 2.4m with only one stud on each end work? Obviously I'd have studs above and below, around an oblong frame.

Sponsored Links
yep possibly if it was 3' x 3' and solid oak,think your really trying to push the boadries using run of the mill 4x2 here.good luck,id certainly like to see the pics if you ever get this built,defo wow factor.

Thanks - I assume you mean 3"x3" :)

Why oak? Is that just the strength for given price/availability?

Presumably the upper studs could just as well be regular 2x4?

I'll post pictures if I manage to do it, frankly not sure if I've got the skill, but will have a go

no i meant 3ftx3ft i was being a bit sarcy, ;)
im thinking perhaps you could do this with a bit of steel as in rsj?

Sponsored Links
The weight of the water would be around 100kg assuming that the tank was fairly full (1m^3 of water = 1 metric tonne, your tank has a volume of .108m^3). Add a bit for the tank itself and any gravel etc. That's not that great a load really - as long as you arrange the supporting frame with that in mind, where's the problem?

A well built frame of 3x2 will be more than adequate, and you fridge freezer exerts more weight per square inch than the tank would.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back