New stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am replacing an existing stud wall as it contains glass and the door height is wrong. In order to plaster it level with the current wall I need to remove the existing stud work and restart.

I am going to be fitting oak doors. I have built a stud wall previously but I am unsure what gap I need to consider for a frame/door and height. I also wonder what type of frame I should buy if I am going to put oak doors in.

Any suggestions or tips?

Sponsored Links
You just pick whatever lining you like and is suitable, and form your stud opening to the lining's dimension

The fact that these are oak doors is irrelevant to the lining. You just buy one wide enough and thick enough. But if you want it to match, then you'll have to find an oak lining - which are not that common

As per Woodchucker.

Our locally bought standard casings turn out at aboot 805mm overall width on a 30" door. This usually means setting out the opening stud-stud at say 32" which leaves a small fitting gap.

We tend to find a nice straight upright stud timber for the hinge side and then fix the hinge side casing tight to this stud then apply fitting packers on the latch side.

Sponsored Links
It just occurred to me that the OP will probably have painted linings around the house, so the new lining will probably match those. In which case just get a standard lining from the merchants or one of the sheds - they will be pre-notched for standard door widths

Remember to allow for the thickness of floor covering, so set the head height to allow for this so that you don't end up trimming the bottom of the doors afterwards

hi many thanks! I guess the frame would determine the rest! I'm thinking TP or wickes unless someone suggests a different supplier?

I have been told 12.5 plasterboard either side with an extra 2mm for skim. Does this sound right?

Its going in the front room so not entirely sure what insulation to put into the wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back