New T90 Fitted to Mains Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi this is a bit of a strange one so I hope someone can put my mind at rest.

I have a small barber shop in Dublin and last Thursday I has a Trition T90SI fail on me and flood my shop. After showing some of my plumber customers the shower they believe it was not a new show when fitted but a reconditioned one.

I have since installed a new shower the Triton T90xr (I asked the supplier Davies for the T90si but they said the T90xr was the same shower. This is what they are calling it now)

My previous shower failed when the pump came away from its connector and the water came bursting out. It happened when the shop was closed and no one there. It was only discovered the next morning!

Here is my predicament,
Today I discovered that when the landlord had the building next door knocked down and rebuilt, the builders took away my Tank and connected me to the mains supply without informing me.

The new shower I have (T90xr) has a sticker on the front saying "MUST NOT BE CONNECTED TO MAINS SUPPLY" but thats all I have. I have no way of fitting a tank and the landlord won't do anything.

I have spoken to 1 or 2 builders and they said they have connected hundreds of T90's and all of them to mains supply with no problems.

Could I be facing another problem leaving the shower connected to the mains supply. I have no other water supply and I can't be without the shower.

Can someone put my mind at rest or am I in for another potential nightmare like last Thursday????????

Sponsored Links
Why don't you use a shower suitable for mains pressure water? You're asking for trouble otherwise.

As stated in my first post, I was sure there was a tank in the attic when I put the shower in last week. It was there when the first shower went in.

I only discovered there was no Tank when I decided to go looking for it. It seems the builders that rebuilt the building next door and knocked down the back of the building my shop is in took away the tank without informing me.

That's why I posted the question about being connected to the mains in the first place.

As Chris has just posted if its mains water then your asking for trouble, for the record it also illegal to connect a pump to the mains.

Sponsored Links
When it states
"Must not be connected to mains supply"

Is that because it will cause problems with the unit or because its illegal??

If its because its illegal then I can relax until I get my insurance and fit a tank (about 2-3 weeks time)

I have spoken to a number of plumbers and most of them (if not all) said they would have no problem with it connected to the mains. They said the reason you would avoid doing this is because of irregular presser when a tanks presser never changes.

The T90xr 8.5 Kw and the T90si 9.5 Kw are both designred for LOW PRESSURE tank fed installations.

it will not take mains pressure irrespective of the regs

can you not install a small tank for the supply to the shower?

I would if I had the money to do that.

Over here the plumbers or way over priced so its not that easy to find the money to do it.

For example,
When I had the flood I had to call a plumber to turn off the supply as we could not find it.
He turned off the supply, refitted the new shower (Took him all of 40mins)
Then hit me for €430.00

Over here they charge up to 150.00 callout and 80.00 per hour.

Now can you see why I am waiting for the insurance!!.

what about a pressure reducing valve? would that work?

As Chris has just posted if its mains water then your asking for trouble, for the record it also illegal to connect a pump to the mains.

just wondering if the regs are the same in ireland?

I would if I had the money to do that.

Over here the plumbers or way over priced so its not that easy to find the money to do it.

For example,
When I had the flood I had to call a plumber to turn off the supply as we could not find it.
He turned off the supply, refitted the new shower (Took him all of 40mins)
Then hit me for €430.00

Over here they charge up to 150.00 callout and 80.00 per hour.

Now can you see why I am waiting for the insurance!!.

That would depend on where you are because I know a few in Northern Ireland that is nothing like that rate

(Took him all of 40mins)
Then hit me for €430.00. Over here they charge up to 150.00 callout and 80.00 per hour.
Those sound like rip-off rates for emergency call-outs through Yellow Pages and the like. I think you'll find there are plenty of local plumbers charging quite modest rates but don't expect them to be paying for half-page adverts in Yellow Pages. The best won't have to advertise at all since they'll get all he work they can manage (and more) from recommendations. Ask around.

That's what all the plumbers are charging here

130 to 150 is the norm call out charge, the chap I got was supposed to be a friend.
He then hit me for the money 4 days after the flood even though I told him I had none until the insurance was sorted. Really ****ed at him over this.

Just went to B&Q and got myself a Dehumidifier (Model: BQDC20) €239.00

The shop is only 10ft by 11ft so it should be enough.

Dude ya have a choice ...... Get showers that work on mains pressure OR get a tank ....... Thats basically it really :(

I'm sure you can rig up some kind of tank ...... It ain't rocket science :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back