new tiles, re-use old tiles...opinion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there...another newbie

I own a small end terrace Victorian house which needs re-roofing and I'm in the process of getting quotes for the job. I received the first quote yesterday for stripping the roof, new underlay, batons, lead soaker's [?], lead flashing etc and then re-laying existing roof tiles and re-bedding hip end [?] / ridge caps in new mortar. The quote was round-about what I was expecting. As a P.S., the quote added that if I should want new ' eternit' tiles it would be extra £'s.

So, I'm looking for opinions as to which way to go. Re-use the existing tiles [proper slate] or use new tiles. Is there any advantage in new tiles?...if there is, I don't mind spending the extra dosh. Is re-using the existing tiles an economy which I may regret a few years down the line?

I really would value your opinions.

Sponsored Links
What is the point in re-roofing only to use the existing tiles - if the tiles are OK then why re-roof?

Tiles have a life, at the end of it you replace them

Ayup Woody. Slow down. I've valued your posts before but we don't know the reason for the OP going for a re-roof.
It could be just a few 'tiles' missing/damaged/slipped, 'missing' felt/membrane, damaged/missing ridge/verge tiles.

He/she says they're "proper slate" which doesn't fit in with the quote talking about replacement eternit tiles.

In my limited experience, if they're plain tiles they have a resale value. So why replace a whole load of tiles that have a resale value?

If you have "proper" slate and it's in good condition, then reuse it. there is no contest really.

Re useing existing is perfectly acceptable, if and when your fixings are corroded or battens failing

I would expect the reference to eternit tiles ..actually meaning eternit slate.. could be wrong of course.

Sponsored Links
Natural slate is the best pitched roof covering you can get, with the best slate selling at around £5k per 1000, if your current slates are of a good enough quality it would certainly be worth re-using them. But bare in mind you wont salvage enough of them to completely re-cover your roof area, so you would need to buy some, probably second hand to match up nicely.

If the slates arent up to adecent standard, you could sell them to a salvage yard, get between 40-70 pence for a half decent slate, and put the cash towards a brand new roof covering. Best to discuss it with your roofer, as he can inspect your slates for you.

Lead soakers lap up against abutments, ie dormers, parapets etc. And a hip iswhere two roof slopes meet eachother externally.

Hi guys

Not very used to this forum thing..... spent ages one finger typing a reply to your kind advice, only to see it disappear when I tried to send. Is there some sort of 'log on; time limit on this thing ? Amazed at your willingness to give sound advice to strangers .... there is hope for us yet! I shall re -type again tomorrow, but more quickly..

Aye
Boudlo

natural slates are better then man mades(eternit)
when stripping a roof you get quite alot of broken slates and the roofer would have to get more out of his own pocket .costing about£1 each one .although there old with new felt battens lead your roof would be top notch .i would put new ridge tiles on though.

Hi again, didn't know whether to start a new thread or resurrect this one.

I've had a couple of quotes come in from local roofing contractors. Both say that the existing 'real' slates are 'fine' and have quoted for re-using these in re- roofing, new lead work, battens etc, etc. This is a very modest 'two up, two down' end terrace house and I have decided to go with re- using the existing roofing slates after reading your good advice.

The views I'm looking for is the diparity of the quotes.

Roofer 'A' provided a hand writen quote which seems to me, to hit all all the points - scaffolding, new under lay, new code 3 lead soakers & code 4 step flashing around chimney [??], re-lay existing roof tiles, re-lay hip end + ridge caps on new mortar, replace guttering on gabble end [£3650].... but doesn't mention anything about 'building notice approval' from the local council or 'relavant licence' ro errect scaffolding on a public footpath.

Roofer 'B' [with the flashy web site] provides a printed quote [£4565] to a similar specifiation, but includes all the permissions - 'building notice approval' ... 'relevant licence' to errect scaffolding on a public footpath. Plus a an additional quote for upgrading the loft insulation to 'building regulations' for an additional £395 + VAT......

Anyway, Roofer 'B' seemed to think that the local council building regulators would pull my finger nails out one by one, stick pins in my eyes and fine me, if the the rules weren't followed. All I need to know is if all this is genuine.

Again. thanks for your thoughts
Boudlo

Under current regs if more than 25% of a roof is being re-covered you have to notify Building Control who will advise you of the insulation required (they do charge for this of course).

If the BC isn't informed and they find out the work has been carried out they can levy fines against the owner and the contractor.

This is likely to change a little in the near future with the contractor able to self certify like electricians and gas fitters already do.

you do need to do it legally .if you dont they would tare you apart in every way they can. roofer b is telling the truth

Again,thanks for the response.

Would not dream of doing anything illegal. Both companies are local well established roofing contractors with their own premisses, VAT No. etc.

I was just a little frustrated that roofer 'B' wants an extra £395 plus VAT to bring the insulation up to standards when I could do it myself for a fraction of the cost.

If I could ask another dumb question - Roofer 'A' has given me an 'Estimate', Roofer 'B' has given me a 'Quote'. Any difference? or are they just interchangable terms.

Thanks
Boudlo

Yes, you could probably do the insulation cheaper yourself but then you aren't having to pay labour on top of the material cost and you won't be looking to make a profit on the work.

There is indeed a difference between an estimate and a quote but it really boils down to what they say on their letters to you.

To put it in the context that we work on, an estimate is what I work out when measuring the job initially and the quote is what we send to the client including all costs, overhead and profit (we hope).

Make sure that the quote / estimate is a fixed price offer based on the work entailed and ask them if they haven't already to state this in writing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back