New to tiling, the more I read, the more choices I have!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I'm new to the world of tilling, I've just had an extension built and having done a little research I went out and spent some cash.

Now I do a little more reading and might need to spend even more!

Starting with the floor:
The ensuite bath room is built partly in the existing and partly in new bit of house. The flooring is not level and has a little bit on concrete, old floorboards, and chipboard. The builders have overlayed marine ply to make it look level (ish).

I'll be laying electric underfloor heating (matting), and 300mm tiles. I'll have a punt at what I think is required - please let me know if it is wrong! Remove the ply, use aquapanel (thermal???) instead, screw that down using correct screws, use the tape, lay the heat mat, lay flexible adhesive, lay tiles, grout using flexible grout. What I'm not sure of is do I need to use self-leveling compound before the aquapanel... it'll just run through holes in the floorboards/chip board surely?!?!

Walls:
Currently it has combination of marine ply and plaster. For walls behind the shower I will replace the ply'ed walls with standard aquapanel, for the one that has been plastered (stud wall with plasterboard + skim) I'm not sure if I should take that down and replace it with aquapanel too?. For other walls that are not behind the shower I was just going to tile as normal as it's not within washing distance of the shower.

I'm not too happy with the way the sink is fixed to the wall (resting on a pedestal, screwed with self-tappers to the wall). Is there a better way to do it?!?! i.e. if there's was no pedestal it wouldn't be very strong at all!

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
leave the ply on the floor & the walls & aqua panel or backer board over the top, bagged addy not tubbed, decent stuff not bought from the sheds (topps flex is ok i've found), what are the type & size of your wall tiles ?

Will I need aquapanel just behind the shower, or also on the floor (I'm thinking the answer is probably yes?) I have bagged adhesive, but alas it is from a shed. It's mapei brand rather than home brand - if that makes any difference at all?!?!

The tiles on the wall are 15cm square with a small mosaic border (probably 2 squares wide) and 30cm sqaures on the floor.

I have bought flexible adhesive and grout for the underfloor heating. What can I do about lumps and bumps if not perfectly flat - self leveling stuff or just start at the high point and push less hard to keep the addy thick in the low parts?

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back