New toilet won't meet clay soil pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace my old s trap low level cistern toilet, and without checking have bought a horizontal outlet close cistern toilet that will not marry up.

The end of the current clay pipe in the floor is 350mm from the wall, whereas the horizontal outlet in my new pan would only be 150mm from the wall-........n fact the base of the pan would sit right on top of the clay soil pipe.

I've thought about boxing it in, but 20mm is a lot to box in, and would make the pan stick right out. Can you still buy s trap toilets that would be 350mm from the wall?

Sponsored Links
It’s a common problem; the best solution is usually to build a false stud wall & bring it out to suit the new w/c. If your washbasin is on the same wall, you can use this "inconvenience" to your advantage to hide the pipe work & make an impressive, top lit vanity mirror feature; but you will loose about 200mm of the room. ;)

Thanks Richard, yes this is what I thought I might have to do unfortunately.

So is it not possible anymore to buy a suitable toilet-must admit I haven't had any luck in finding one so far?

Sponsored Links
How successful it will be depends on which direction the foul drain runs but if you really want to dig a huge great hole in your floor, have all the hassle of breaking out the clay pipe without damaging the clay invert (the rest of it), laying & marying up new PVC pipe & repairing the DPC then go ahead.

Personally I think it’s a no brainer unless you’re doing a lot of other work, use it to your advantage as I said.

Yep, looks like I'll be doing as you suggest then.

At the mo, the pan is cemented into the soil pipe in the floor. When I knock this out to remove the current toilet, what will I find and how will I connect it to my modern 100mm horizontal outlet pan?

Thought about a flush pipe toilet? Close coupled sit much closer to the wall, with the cistern mounted on the wall and connected via a flush pipe to the pan you might be able to stand it off enough to fit it and a 90 degree pan connector......worth checking out

you can get a pan connector shaped like a :?: . that`ll keep it a bit closer to wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back