New Tv - Problems With Tuning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Someone help me before i go mad. Just bought a new tv for loft extension with built in freeview.
I have a splitter/amplifier in loft with currently works fine pushing all channels to ground floor and bedroom on first floor.
For some reason when i try to tune this new tv using the existing splitter/amplifier i cannot seem to get any decent channels. The amplfier is a stepped one giving 8db 12db and 16db steps, i have tried each of these and seem to be able to find more channels on the 8db but these pretty much all break up and no BBC1 etc.
Wierd thing is that it managed to find 17 or so channels on the 8db and then i took the coax out of the amplifier and the channels seemed to be breaking up a lot less but i tried to retune thinking i had sorted it but it didnt find any extra ones.
Not really too sure what to do next on this one, maybe i should get a booster to see if that would help or is there such a thing a too much of a boosted signal, maybe thats what the problem is here, can you buy a reducer?
Help please, i need this to work asap :)
Lee

Sponsored Links
Yes, the signal can be too powerful. Some televisions may work fine with it, others may not. Also note than amplification of a noisy, rubbish signal will result in amplified rubbish.

Does the new TV work in either of the downstairs rooms?
If it does, either the cabling in your loft is defective, or the signal is indeed far too powerful.

If you remove the booster completely and just connect the incoming aerial to the new TV, what happens then?

I bought a signal checking thing today, one that shows signal strength. there is a maximum of 4 green leds, when i plug the aerial (using the input into the splitter box i have) it shows three out of four leds which i didnt think was too bad. I plugged this directly into the new tv and managed to get every channel.
I tested the signal, after putting this one back where it was, using the one that i was trying to tune the tv with but i only got two out of four leds. I tried boosting the signal and managed to get it up to three out of four but still no luck with tuning the tv, i can get some but there are pixellated etc etc.
Not too sure what to do now, i know that the aerial on the roof is fine and i have proved this by tuning the new tv to it directly and also by previously running three tvs off of it.
Next step i guess is to get a different splitter box and see if that makes a difference. One thing i did notice was when i was testing the output directly from the splitter box i got no signal, not too sure if i was testing this right though.
Any suggestions, this one is really starting to suck my will to live.

Lee

Does the new TV work in either of the downstairs rooms?
If it does, either the cabling in your loft is defective, or the signal is indeed far too powerful.

If you remove the booster completely and just connect the incoming aerial to the new TV, what happens then?
Wot he says ^^^^

Sponsored Links
New Update, getting wierder
Bought a labgear powerpass splitter box and connected the IN to the aerial and the out to the new tv and i got all of the channels.

In the meantime i connected tv to aerial direct and got the same amount of channels.

Problem is now downstairs on the tvs (2) that DID work with the old set up.
I tried connecting these to the new splitter but no luck. Tried connecting the splitter to the old splitter and then running it as it was (kind of) but manged to get a few channels on one tv and none on the other. The channels i got were the BBC type ones.

Just so we know, the tv's that were downstairs were run on a booster. This was still used and not used in this new set up.

Maybe i need a mega booster? This one is really annoying, wish i hadnt bought a new tv now.

Lee

Unless you answer the questions, you won't get any useful replies. Guessing isn't going to help. We need hard facts based on tests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back