New UPV Sash windows drafty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone - we're having problems and hope you can help.

We're putting new windows in and we've noticed that when its windy there's a massive draft blowing up through the window - where the upper and lower sashes meet in the runners. I have no idea about windows so what could be the cause and how to fix it?

We've had a lot of problems with the guy we've employed to do this - we originally ordered 28mm kommerling sash and before we had chance to check four of the old windows had been ripped out - and it turned out that the ones that had arrived were 24mm "eco-slide" and had to be fitted oh and the bars are the wrong style but he's ordered new glass with the correct Georgian style trims - no cost.

Should give him a chance to make good and solve the drafts, and of course demand a hefty discount or - Should we stop the work and look for a new company? It seems one problem after another..... Any advise please.....

Sponsored Links
I assume they are Eco-slide from http://www.victoriansliders.co.uk/

I have fitted about 100 of these in the last few years, Many of which were in rural and windy locations and I haven't had any call backs for drafts so I would guess at a fitting problem.

Could you post some pics?

Here are a few pics.
The trim has only gone on two of the windows... Are these windows any good? they're not what we asked for so we're in the dark about them - glad to hear that you've not had any call backs so if it is only installation then that's good news (ish) and yes Eco slide with a reference to Victorian sliders on one page of bumpf but the factory paperwork that we insisted on seeing is Bespoke Roofs Ltd in Poulton Le Fylde - Lancashire... so we're confused
Please any knowledge right now would be appreciated.

not too sure how to post pics here so here's the urls for my pics

//media.diynot.com/228000_227771_91559_70524870_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/228000_227771_91560_55847735_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/228000_227771_91561_62801731_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/228000_227771_91562_24981334_thumb.jpg

Let me know if you want any specific angles or close ups - I took what I thought would be a helpful collection of pics but as I say I'm no expert.

Sponsored Links
Your pics are a bit small. Can you post a big one from straight on inside?

I would be looking for any bows in the frame to start. Get some straight edges (preferably a 600mm level and 1200mm level but straight bits of wood would do). Put them against the sides of the frame and the cill on the bottom and look for any humps or bows.

I haven't fitted any other makes of sliders for about 10 years so its hard to make a comparison but I have found these to be very good windows.

I've tested the frames with a bit of trim that seems straight and the frames don't appear to have any humps or bumps. The drafts are only coming through one section of the window and the guys were here today - the fitter had a good look and suggests adding a little more fluffy trim and beefing up some of the fluffy thats already there - if it works we're happy. They're not doing anything till they've spoken with he manufacture... Where we are is VERY exposed so I guess we're getting winds that may be unusual. Having said that the frames did pass all the tests so I'm even more confused as to whats going on. Whats the standard procedure for this kind of situation?

Heres a straight on pic

//www.diynot.com/network/mwh11/albums/24348/91588

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back