New User - Ideal Response 80 Question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I'm a new user to this site after viewing on many occasions, but after not 100% been able to find my answer, i thought the time was right to post, so can anyone help..........

My Ideal Response 80 Combi boiler has been losing/gaining pressure for a few months now, initially i managed to stop this by either topping up the pressure with the valve on the side, when it was empty or if it was too high i.e as it is now, releasing the pressure through a rad.

But now my boiler constantly is high pressure unless i release enough water to go below 0.5, but then once the heating is off the pressure just drops to zero and have to keep refilling everyday and to cap it all off it has now started to leak too, but i cannot see where it is leaking from, no signs of a drip, can anyone help please?

I can try andf give more details if necessary, but have to see may depend on the question!!!

Sponsored Links
it sounds like your expansion vessel is undercharged, you need to repressurise it, replace it or put an external one in on the return somewhere!

Not sure if you can get to it without taking the combustion chamber apart - if this is the case its RGI time, unless you want to put an external one on yourself

it sounds like your expansion vessel is undercharged, you need to repressurise it, replace it or put an external one in on the return somewhere!

Not sure if you can get to it without taking the combustion chamber apart - if this is the case its RGI time, unless you want to put an external one on yourself

Thanks for your response

Sorry for my ignorance, but i know anything about boilers or plumbing for that matter, how would i repressurise the vessel, is this not the same as topping up the pressure using the external valve to do so???

And also if the combustion chamber has to be taken apart, what is RGI time?

Thanks again!

Maybe you should call in a gas safe registered engineer, if your not very experienced? would hate to see you damage you boiler

RGI is registered gas installer

Sponsored Links
Maybe you should call in a gas safe registered engineer, if your not very experienced? would hate to see you damage you boiler

RGI is registered gas installer

Ok, nice one probably would be best, what sort of price range are we looking at, do you have an opinion? But out of interest what was the repressuring bit and how is that done?

Morning Beansy
Your expansion vessel should have no pressure in it when you come to top it up with air - i.e nothing registering on the boiler pressure gauge.
Find air inflation valve near the top (car tyre type) and press the pin in. If water escapes, then the EV has had it - if its just air then repressurise the thing using an ordinary hand or foot pump up to about 10 psi - or whatever the manufacturer recommends.
This done, increase the water pressure in the system to around 1 bar, and set everything going.
John :)

Morning Beansy
Your expansion vessel should have no pressure in it when you come to top it up with air - i.e nothing registering on the boiler pressure gauge.
Find air inflation valve near the top (car tyre type) and press the pin in. If water escapes, then the EV has had it - if its just air then repressurise the thing using an ordinary hand or foot pump up to about 10 psi - or whatever the manufacturer recommends.
This done, increase the water pressure in the system to around 1 bar, and set everything going.
John :)

Thanks, burnerman, i shall try and have a go at thit tonight if i can find the parts i'm supposed to be looking for, i shall let you know how i get on, but firstly for me to clear up what your saying...................... do i need to empty the system pressure 1st to zero, as at the minute it is at about 2.5 and then find this inflation valve and then the rest i am clear on???

Cheers

Let the air out of the tyre valve BEFORE depressurising the water! This is to see if water has leaked into it.

Tony

Let the air out of the tyre valve BEFORE depressurising the water! This is to see if water has leaked into it.

Tony

ok thanks, so i just need to locate this tyre valve now, wherever it is....

Try looking under the horizontal plate on the top right of the boiler.

Tony

Thanks for all your help yesterday people, there was no water in the tyre valve, i got the mrs's uncle round yesterday who is a plumber but doesn't repair boilers, he had a quick look and guess at the problem and it appears that the thermostat on the boiler its self is not working (doesn't click at all and no change once dial position moved), so the tank is constantly just filling up with hot water and then leaking once the pressure reaches maximum

The only problem is this is only a guess as he is not a boiler repair person, if this is the case i believe i'v found the part for about £12, does anyone have any idea how much this would cost to replace

Oh dear!

Your relative is not helping you!

Modern boiler TEMPERATURE controls are just a potentiometer and DONT CLICK!

Your boiler has a pressure issue.

As a DIYer you can repressurise the expansion vessel if you follow the instructions on this thread and the FAQ.

But there may be other problems.

You might be better getting a competent boiler engineer ( not all are! ).

Tony

if the boiler stat was faulty it would be surely overheating? I think your on the wrong path personally and need to go back to lookng at getting the EV sorted. Tbh I wouldn't go spending alot of money on this boiler, yours is probably one of the few last remaining.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back