New veggie patch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought this year should be the year i start my organic veggie patch. I'm a bit unsure what to do about planting stuff out as we have had such late frosts. So is now the right time?Somone said when the daffodils have died down is the right time. Any help and hints would be useful! I'm growing a large mixture of salad and vegetables.

Sponsored Links
Now is generally late. But perhaps not this year.

How are the plants going to be grown, from seed, or seedlings. Have go got a greenhouse or polytunnel?

From seed mainly. The onions are sets. Its just that yesterday we had a really bad frost that would have killed the little blighters!! i haven't a poly tunnel.

It wont have killed the onion sets, from now on is a good time to plant veg directly outside. Normally earlier, but it's been a bit of a sustained winter this year. planting in seed trays , small poly's will really enhance the season. They don't cost much either. Also in future, remember, digging in a bit of farm yard manure / compost can really help, not generating a lot of heat, but even very small temp increases can have dramatic effects. Best of luck. Should be a good year, harder winter equals less pests.

Oh, but we need rain. in the absence of this, mulch well.

Me and my big mouth eh?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice! I have started some things off in seed trays and i'm going to plant some seeds out directly, so covering many options!! I think the time is now right ....unless they get washed away in the hefty showers we keep having! Well, here goes, fingers crossed!!
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back