New wall hung basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about having a wall hung basin instead of my old pedestal. I have just put a a new mobobloc tap in this but will use that for my new basin. The basin I am thinking of buying has NO screws with it (or so it says)! and as I have never hung a basin before to the wall I wondered what length/thickness of screws and plugs I should choose? Any good types/brands out there I should buy to support the weight correctly?

Sponsored Links
think i've seen them in the super store bq.
but i try to avoid bq if poss.

Sponsored Links
really-why do you try and avoid b & q? plumbing section in the new store near me is really good now-sells how water cylinders, cold water tanks, rads, showers, shower pumps, pumps, motorised valves, programmers, loads and loads of stuff really. they have a trade counter and everything!

the lights are on but no one seams to be in.
9/10 of their rads are damaged.
cylinders not much better.

prices are not that good compaired to trade prices i can get from my local plumbers merchant.

and their range is better now but not the best.

yep i agree that prices for some items are more expensive than screwfix etc. shame that a lot of their items are broken though... not good.

i never knew they were owned by the same company! i do agree though that plumbers merchants are way better for specific items and know what they are talking about more than the average b & q staff etc!

mean while, back at the thread...

If its going onto a Solid wall LB then you'll have no problem but if its a Stud Wall then you're gonna need a decent fixing for the Basin Fixing Bolts. Even if you think it feels like a decent fix, you're gonna be hanging a hell of a weight on them bolts. Plasterboard isn't designed to accomodate that sort of weight. If you can get a fixing onto an upright on one side, I'd be suprised if you got one on the other (murphys law apart from anything else). In which case, you'll need to insert a Noggin. Once you have that in place (with decent screws through into the uprights), you'll get a great fixing.

what are the prices for eg/ in an average plumbers merchant for simple things like a 32mm bottle trap, doughnut washer, 15 and 22mm pipe bungs, etc?

i have heard some things can be expensive in there????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back