New Wall Hung Toilet - Leaking Pan Connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a new wall hung toilet and would appreciate some help with a leak please.

I took a real battle to get it on to the brackets and the pipes lined up, but I thought I'd won, until a few hours later I noticed a slow drip underneath. After close inspection it seems to be where the rubber gasket of the pan connector connects to the ceramic pan outlet.

I don't understand why it is leaking since it is as far on the pan as the fitting allows. I'm going to have to take it all off again but I have no idea what is wrong. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Would bunging silicone around the outlet before connecting the gasket help or is that just a bodge?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Check the leak isn't from the flush pipe connection to pan ,and dripping down onto the pan connector and misleading you.
If it is the pan connector to the pan outlet that's leaking ,it could be where the seal clips into the pan connector body ,or the actual pan outlet / seal itself. It can be difficult to see exactly which of the two it is.

Check the leak isn't from the flush pipe connection to pan ,and dripping down onto the pan connector and misleading you.
If it is the pan connector to the pan outlet that's leaking ,it could be where the seal clips into the pan connector body ,or the actual pan outlet / seal itself. It can be difficult to see exactly which of the two it is.

I've been under it with a torch and watched the dripping. I'm as sure as I can be that it's where the rubber gasket goes over the pan outlet. I'll try putting some paper on top of the pan outlet just to double check.

Its more common to leak from where the seal sits into the pan connector,it's only held in with a plastic ring on most .
What type and make is your pan connector ?

Sponsored Links
Its more common to leak from where the seal sits into the pan connector,it's only held in with a plastic ring on most .
What type and make is your pan connector ?

It came with the cistern frame, which is Swiss Aqua Technologies. It's a rigid plastic connector and the rubber seal goes over the (unglazed) ceramic pan outlet.

Show us a pic of the end of it where the seal is. I am not personally familiar with the one you have .
The seal would usually be pre assembled in production.

I can't really get a good picture until I have the toilet off again. The seal is kind of like a plunger that goes over the pan spigot. There is no clip. It isn't this brand but looks similar to this: https://www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom-furniture-shower-taps/186117.htm

Another thing I've picked up is that spigots can be glazed and unglazed. Mine is unglazed. Is this more problematic and likely to make it difficult for a good seal?

In my experience glazed or unglazed makes no difference,however some pan outlets are not perfectly round or smoothe ,and you would be wise to inspect yours for any defects.
Maybe I haven't explained very well ,but the rubber seal in the pan connector is held in place by a plastic ,clip on, cover.

In my experience glazed or unglazed makes no difference,however some pan outlets are not perfectly round or smoothe ,and you would be wise to inspect yours for any defects.
Maybe I haven't explained very well ,but the rubber seal in the pan connector is held in place by a plastic ,clip on, cover.

No, there's no clip there either. The rubber fits over the end of the plastic pipe. I'll check the spigot for defects when I have it off again later.

Just for anyone finding this thread in the future, the problem was the pan spigot on the toilet not being a true circle and having a poor finish, so the seal wasn't able to form completely. I have replaced the pan and no leaks at all now. Not the easiest problem to deal with but all's well that ends well, once I get the refund sorted anyway. Thanks to terryplumb for offers of help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back