New walls to old walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
About time I stepped from out of the shadows...converting my garage into a bedroom was hoping to run a few things by all of you.
I'm taking out the garage door and window above it, replacing it all with a metre high block(2 skins, cavity)wall and pvc window above. There is an existing concrete lintel which i will not disturb and fit the window to.
The sides of the window I'll build up with half blocks. Using partial fill insulation, and thermabate to close the cavity.
Now the little problem. I think the house wall may be CHB's filled in with concrete. Whats the best way to find out? whack off some of the render?So if I was building this cavity block wall how would I build it in to the other walls if they are different block sizes. Build the wall freestanding, do a vertical dpc and brace it to the other walls?
I think my understanding is a little twisted here!
Any Help Much Appreciated..!!!!!
curadh

Sponsored Links
You should buy someStainless steel wall starter packs from Heitons or Chadwicks

Howya legs akimbo
Thats solved that! Genious.
Thanks a lot.
curadh

Sponsored Links
there is a better version of thermabate.for The DIY`ers..........Masterthermobate :rolleyes:

In dublinia legs, the big smoke as you cultchies would call it!!!

Masthermabate..!lol surprised that ones not well worn out at this stage!
Rang around today for the stuff, tough to get it seems, whats the norm for closing cavities? Heard somewhere the thing to do is use half bricks, but not sure how that would work. Would have to do a course of them i suppose?

talked to a bloke today says to use slate to close the cavity. Surely that stuff would crack too easily if you drilled it.

All sorted! know exactly what I'm at now, *cough*didnt know the window sat on the sill*cough*, so will run flashing underneath and leave it vertical behind the sill, where it should meet 'queen closer' bricks. The sides will be closed with bricks at a 90 degree-er so they meet the outer skin, except i'll put a vertical 4" dpc between them.
Ahh cavities... just as thick as they look!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back