New water supply when splitting property into 2 flats ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a property that i'm in the process of converting into 2 flats. There is a water supply into the building that i'd hoped to split into 2 to feed each flat. Yorkshire water told me i had to install a separate new feed and have quoted me a staggering £2500 to lay a small length of pipe to connect me to the water main in the street about 1.5m from the boundary from of my property

The question is legally am i forced to do this or are YW just wanting to cash in on naive property developers ?

The current supply has no water meter so i was hoping i could just get both flat tenants to split the cost of the single supply.

tia,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
I have absolutely no idea what the legality of this is, but would suggest you add a small amount to the rent to cover water and pay this bill yourself.

Have a water meter installed (they'll do this for free, because they want you to have one) then split the supply on your property and install a meter on each supply yourself. You will need to be billed for water usage yourself, then bill your tenants accordingly. Every month/quarter/whatever, take readings of both meters and use them to divide the water bill between the two flats according to usage. So, for example, if after the first quarter Flat 1 has used 250 units of water and Flat 2 has used 500 units of water, you know that you need to bill Flat 1 for one third of your total water bill and Flat 2 for two thirds of the bill.

Thanks guys - this sounds very encouraging.

What would happen if say in 10 years time i came to sell the property without the direct water supply ?

Sponsored Links
If you came to sell one flat without the other you'd be in the cacky, if you were selling both together I suspect the new owner would be happy with my suggested triple meter arrangement

Thanks - do i have to get Yorkshire Water to install the meters ? or can a plumber do this for me ?

Yorkshire will need to install the primary meter in the road, any plumber can install secondary meters EDIT: ...provided they are Water Industry Approved

Happy now Tony? :rolleyes:

Technically any plumber working on mains supply pipework should be water regs registered or have the work inspected by the water supplier!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back