New windows - Upstairs windows now have loose bricks on top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All,

Quick question, I've recently had some new windows installed (I'm in the middle of a renovation of a 60s house)

The old timber frames have been removed and replaced with UPVC. Now upstairs, I have noticed (where the plaster has come away) that there are loose bricks sitting on top of the window frames! There is a concrete lintel directly above the window sill, which must be the load bearing portion holding the roof and joists up.

Anyway, my questions is, is this acceptable? They can't be load bearing by way of the fact they are just loose. I've also noticed that there are no fixing vertically into the window (As they would be going into loose bricks)

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing that you have cavity walls with a 6 inch concrete lintel on the inner skin and one or 2 courses of brickwork which used to sit on top of the timber frame. When the frames are replaced with plastic this brickwork usually gets loose.
If there is brickwork over a plastic frame it's best to use something like an angle iron under the brickwork to hold it and rebuild the brickwork over the top.
Leaving a job like this is typical of some window fitters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back