New windows without trickle vents - future problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had new windows fitted into my 1950s property. The original windows didn't have trickle vents - the new windows don't have any either. I didn't realise at the time it was a legal requirement? What are the potential problems I have going forward since trickle vents weren't fitted?

The windows are Rehau brand, so bit odd a fairly good quality window manufacturer would manufacture them without trickle vents?

Will this only be an issue if I come to sell, and what are my potential solutions?

Sponsored Links
Only new houses or new extensions require trickle vents. Your fine.

somtimes there can be gaps in the rubber seals to provide ventilation staggered to avoid draughts

That's not quite how I read it, according to the guidance, but I'm happy to defer to the experts - I believe the fittment of new windows should not reduce ventilation levels, compared to what was installed before....

@volks , were your windows installed under a competent persons scheme, have you received a completion certificate?

If so, then no worries! :)

Sponsored Links
That's not quite how I read it, according to the guidance, but I'm happy to defer to the experts - I believe the fittment of new windows should not reduce ventilation levels, compared to what was installed before....

@volks , were your windows installed under a competent persons scheme, have you received a completion certificate?

If so, then no worries! :)
Nope, no certification. They were from checkatrade, if that means anything. Don't think they were fensa accredited. In hindsight, sounds like I messed up

Edit:

Turns out the are listed as a competent person on their website. I will chase them for a certificate tomorrow!

Edit:

Turns out the are listed as a competent person on their website. I will chase them for a certificate tomorrow!
You may also be able to search in the planning portal of your local authority website.
Building control applications and completion certificates registered to your address, can be listed there.

You won't need a vent if there were none previously but you may want a vent if leaky old frames were providing adventitious ventilation.

The frame installation should be self certified or an application to the council for approval. That will cause issues at sale time if there is none.

Amazing, thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it!

If you want a bit of ventilation, just shut the windows on the cracked-open lock setting. All (or all I've seen recently) have this.

Trickle vents mandatory for all replacement windows since Jun 22 - seemingly being ignored wholesale by the industry.

You won't need a vent if there were none previously but you may want a vent if leaky old frames were providing adventitious ventilation.

The frame installation should be self certified or an application to the council for approval. That will cause issues at sale time if there is none.
It's not quite as simple as that is it? Or do you have knowledge or access to legislation that we don't? As I understand it even if you're existing windows don't have vents, you'll need to be able to demonstrate to BC why your new windows don't need vents.

Trickle vents mandatory for all replacement windows since Jun 22 - seemingly being ignored wholesale by the industry.
No wonder people are getting confused :)

What approved document F says along with some frequently asked questions...

Screenshot_20230509-100355_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20230509-100525_Chrome.jpg

As I tried to say earlier, there may not be a need for trickle vents to be fitted to replacement windows, if the airtightness of the property is not improved - i.e. if there is a suitable amount of ventilation provided by any other acceptable (and demonstrable to building control) means...

It's not quite as simple as that is it? Or do you have knowledge or access to legislation that we don't? As I understand it even if you're existing windows don't have vents, you'll need to be able to demonstrate to BC why your new windows don't need vents.
See the post below yours

Yes I'm aware of all that, hence vents are required unless the OP can demonstrate to BC why not. I suspect they'll have none of the alternatives hence my post.

It's open to interpretation from what I understand. Old drafty windows replaced with air tight uPVC is not like for like with regards to air circulation. Seen this discussed on YouTube recently. Anyway not my area so maybe I should not have commented.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back