New wiring required for replacement shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a thread running in the plumbing section about me probably replacing my electric shower. See //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38135 for details. My current shower is an old Mira M7, which is a 7.5kw unit, I believe.
If I end up having to buy a new unit, one of the guys in plumbing mentioned I may not be able to get away with using the current wiring. Can you give any advice on this please? Having had a quick look at the B&Q and Focus websites, the cheaper end of the market units seem to start at 8.5 or 9.5kw and it's probably one of these I'd get.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
douglasgrant said:
If I end up having to buy a new unit, one of the guys in plumbing mentioned I may not be able to get away with using the current wiring.
Possibly not.

Probably not?

What is the size of your existing cable?

How long is the cable?

Where does it run on its way from CU to shower?

What is the type and rating of the protective device, i.e. fuse/MCB?

What is the type and main switch rating of the fusebox/consumer unit?

Is the shower circuit RCD protected? (not essential, but a BGI) If so, what is the rating of the RCD?

Can you give any advice on this please?
Advice 1 Do a search on the Electrics UK forum for shower - you'll probably find all you need to know.

Advice 2 Unless you are very confident that you can do it competently and safely, plan on getting an electrician in to do the work. If you do DIY, find out the legal position first. I'm sure thebaldelectrician will point you at the info on his site. I've no beef with him, and no reason to suspect that the info is inaccurate, other than the generic fact that information like that often is, and that you really should look at what the actual law says.

Having had a quick look at the B&Q and Focus websites, the cheaper end of the market units seem to start at 8.5 or 9.5kw and it's probably one of these I'd get.
Advice 3 If you are going to have new wiring, take advantage of it by having a 10.5-ish shower.

Thanks

On the basis that my answer to most of these questions is 'erm...dunno', I guess I'd better get the number of a local spark. :oops:

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back