New wood floor gaps; can be fixed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just had installed oak hardwood flooring in the house just bought. The whole thing was in a big rush because we had to move in in a short period of time. Now after the "dust" settled, when we look at the new floor we see that it is not perfectly installed. Some pieces of wood (don't know how they are called) (they are in length of about 36 inch and wide 4.5 and one edge of it enters in the edge of the piece near it) do not fit exactly near the next ones. Some gaps of 1/8 of an inch makes our new floor not to look very nice. There is any remedy to fix it? Like to push the wood forcefully to fit properly? I imagine that if the culprit is in the middle of the room I have to move all of them to the end of the room. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Mark,
Sometimes these gaps are left intentionally as the floor will with out doubt expand and these gaps will close up.
Are the gaps on every board or about every meter?

Could also be the otherway round. As you say in a new house, lot of big rush, then it could be that there was still much moist in the air and/or the wood wasn't delivered 3 - 5 days prior to installation.
Now, as you say, the dust has settle (in which I think you mena your living there with central heating on etc), the air humidity could have dropped which makes the floor shrink.
If the floor has been glued in every T&G is would be hard to ;push' the floor up.
Can you check the humidity in rooms and if possibel in the wood? That could give us a better idea of the cause (and possible solution).

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys, I think both of you are right. They did in the end of November (pretty cold in New York area). They did not leave the wood to acclimatize enough in the house (rush job). After that we moved in, furnished the rooms, the heat is higher than before, probably the humidity changed versus when the house was empty. I haven't noticed the gaps to be regular; they appear here and there so I am not sure if they were created in purpose. Thank you again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back