Newbie alarm problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

This is my very first post and I hope it is in the correct place and someone can advise.

We have a very old Scantronic 500r alarm system which has given good service for over 16 years since we bought the house.

It recently started doing all sorts of weird stuff...beeps, lights, tamper warning. It is all very random and make little sense.

I have gone so far using the manual. Replaced main back up battery , tried resetting with user and engineer code etc.

I have taken some internal images which my be instantly understood by an alarm expert.

On the inside of the control box door on the left of the circuit board is what looks like a squarish grey melted area that has run down the circuit board like wax. This looks pretty catastrophic to my untrained eye and possibly spells the end for this alarm system?

Could any one confirm (or otherwise) my theory.

Many thanks for any help.

IMG_6452[1].JPG IMG_6450[1].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Funny enough I’ve just taken one of these out ( upgrade ) and I noticed the rubber block that pushes against the transformer looked a little melted ….but not like that ….. more than likely it’s had a faulty battery and the transformer has got hot ….
Will post a picture as it’s on my garage floor at the moment

Thank you for your helpful reply. The battery I replaced was about 5 years old so maybe it was giving up and caused the problem you mention. Would that much heat mean the circuit board is fubar and that would explain all of the wierd lights and beeps?

Sponsored Links
Yes, there is a bit of melting on yours but it just looks superficial..not a total melt down like mine!. Just wonder if you are keeping your old alarm and if I bought it could I just swap the circuit board to give mine a reprieve?...I would be glad to pay postage too if you don't need it and you think a swap would be achievable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back